Filter Sock Overflow

Djturna4thakidz

Reefing newb
The sock that filters the incoming water in my sump has been bubbling over. I cleaned the sock twice and within a half hour the water is back at the rim bubbling over. Any ideas how to remedy this? Thanks

How are you cleaning it? Normally, you would need to throw it in the washing machine, wash it with hot water and vinager inside out. Then again right side out. Then once with just water. It is always a good idea to have 2 or 3 on hand.

no, just replace with a new one tomorrow. Keep the used ones turned inside out and wash several at once. I have 3 sets, I use 2, put in the third set, and wash the others.

The Sock was pretty clean, you dont think there is any other reason? I have heard that it may be the result of too much flow and the valve in the return line could be closed slightly, But I dont want to loose flow, and would like to remedy another way, if possible.

I wash mine out in the sink with bleach, then rise them out, and soak in ro then air dry. If you think its a flow issue then buy a larger sock, that should help. They usually only back up they are not clean. You can wash them in the washer on the white cyle with bleach, but they wear out faster that way. Try to have 3 , one in the tank, one in the wash, and one ready to go. Or whatever, just have some ready when you need it.

Sounds like the sock is too fine or your tank is dirty... I used to change them every other day, then I got a different type and it goes almost a week now. I soak mine in a pitcher with bleach and hot water overnight, then rinse them out, and soak again in fresh water, then air dry. Does the sock even look clean?

Got a new sock yesterday, put it in. It looked like it was working perfectly. Woke up this morning and it was bubbling over again. I dont know what to do. I cant change the sock twice a day

Back