Filter sock

I don't use filter socks... I will put a sponge or filter sock on the system only when I'm doing a water change and take a small power head and blow off the rocks before draining and replacing the water.

Once the water is cleared up I remove it.

If you have to use one constantly I would say change or clean it atleast weekly.

I recently started using the filter sock. A noticeable change. My tank is crystal clear and I am very happy with the filter sock.

Just know that having that super clear water comes at a cost. The phyto plankton and stuff you are filtering out of the water is what your corals use as food. I use to also use a filter sock, but found a good skimmer and carbon can give you just as clear water without reducing the stuff your corals need.

Hope this helps.
Brandon

JH and BK,

Just curious...I realize that filter socks perhaps trap a lot of stuff. If I am feeding my corals wouldn't that make up for whatever the sock may over filter and to a benefit trap what is leftover.

Also I have heard carbon may reduce trace elments in the water that is also needed...any advice

MK

MLK:

Some filter feeders eat slowly all day long or even at night maybe when your not feeding. Its not also just the food your filtering out, but also the living things that come in on your live rock that also are eaten by corals. Copepods, Amphiapods, phytoplankton, etc..... It's isn't the end of the world if you do use it as long as you keep it clean. I personally would rather allow the excess food get caught on the rock for shrimp, snails, or crabs to eventually consume.

Carbon..
For the average aquarium I would recommend running a cup or so carbon for three days about once a month or if you expect something is wrong. If your running a SPS tank and super low nutrients is your goal (like in my case) run it 24/7

Hope this helps and I'm sure John will give you his thoughts on this soon.

Brandon

Brandon...thanks for the tip...I will give the carbon a try as suggested for three days and then remove it. I may try to alternate the filter sock as well.

Live and learn...:Cheers:

Not much to add, a lot of good advice already given. so bottom line clean sock at least weekly if not more. I you decide to run the carbon only a few days a month, make sure you discard after use. do not reuse same carbon. If you dose your system with trace and minerals, you can run your carbon 24/7, and if not, the other way is done by many hobbist also. read all you can on carbon, what it does and dosnt do, decide what you are trying to do and if carbon will accomplish it for you use it for the amount of time needed to get the results you want. so if used only a few days each month, dose minerals and trace after removing the carbon, and if 24/7 dose trace and minerals to a set schedule. There are different camps on this issue and I can agree with each depending on what you are trying to accomplish. Keep us posted on your progress.

Thanks for tips, JH..NB.

One other thing..any suggestions on cleaning the socks....I have heard one suggest throwing them in the washing machine?

MLK

Hey, I just searched out this thread, I'm trying to find the best way to clean my filter sock... I tried rinsing it under hot water and trying to get all the crap out of it like I would a sponge or anything, but nothing would come out... Now the filter sock is plugged up after about 4 days or so. My friend said that he was told to wash his in a washing machine with a little bleach and then rinse it afterwords again just to make sure all the bleach is washed out of it entirely. Anyone have any other recommendations?

Cory,thats pretty much the method to clean those filter socks.The trick is to have 2 socks and switch them out.That way you have one working while the other is being cleaned.

Thanks what I was kind of thinking after reading the previous posts in this thread, but instead of switching them out, leaving it off for a few days to let the filter feeders get their fair share too. I really have no other mechanical filtration to speak of except a few sponged, like in the overflow box, and on the return pump, and this sock really cleared up my water a lot in the few days I ran it. So maybe I'll use it on and off because I also want good coral growth. I'm going to get a table at a frag swap next month some time. This will be my first time selling frags and I'm excited!

Back