filter sock

WarmWaterDiver

Reefing newb
I have a trickle/ wet dry filter that I would like to use a filter sock on. At this time the only purpose for my sump is to provide a place for my skimmer and various pumps as well as some mechanical filtration... I have a tray that holds a filter pad. My question is can I use a filter sock in place of my other mechanical filtration (various filter pads)? Also, can I put charcoal/phosban etc. in the filter sock? Seems like a dumb question but I don't want to "under" filter my water. Thanks.

I would say if you have enough rock and sand in your tank then you should not have to put any more bilogical filtration help like charcoal. the rock and sand should do the job fine. i have a similar setup with a 10 gal sump underneath there is just my skimmer and floss basket with batting for the mechanical filter. that is it. Everything seems to be working smoothly on my end.

I have seen people use filter socks, so I dont see a prob there. I can't say for sure, but if you fill the sock up with carbon I would think it would slow down your flow, but then again I can't say for sure.

I don't see a problem with running carbon/phosban in a filter sock.,just change it regularly so it won't become a nitrate/phosphate sponge.

I run a filter sock and it works well. As far as the carbon, I am not sure if I would put it in the filter sock. I use those little bags made for running carbon and just set that in the sump.

Adding a filter sock will increase the efficiency of your protein skimmer. Just be sure to change it regularly. As far as running phosban in the sock I'd suggest not doing it. At higher flow rates phosban can lose it's integrity and start to dissolve.

Back