Filter Socks

fastrd400

It wasn't me!
I don't know if some, all or none of you guys use these. But my sump has them, and my question is what is the best way to clean them? I was thinking of dropping them in the washing machine for a couple cycles.

yea you can wash them in the washing machine but i would not use any soap. so in that case i would just wash them in the sink

Do you guys/girls reccommend using the filter socks for the water coming into the fuge or sump? I just setup my fuge this past weekend and I'm just running the inlet line into where my skimmer section is. I was thinking about adding a filter sock with some chemipure.

I was actually thinking of using spme mild soap, and then washing them again in plain water to make sure all the soap got out. One of the guys at my LFS told me to use bleach and water, then rinse them well after, let them dry, rinse again. I'm thinking "uh, no, I don't want to wash these things with bleach you retard".

Turn inside out and rinse with hose outside. This gets some of the bigger and smelly stuff off. Then throw in washer with no soap. Leave them inside out when you put them into the wash. I usually change mine out 3-4 days when I see the water starting to back up some in them. I think I only have 6 right now. So when 5 are dirty I'll do a load.

Wash them in your washer with a little bleach then wash them again with just water. they are not a bad thing to have, it gets alot of bigger stuff out of the water, but make sure you change them when they get dirty, they can cause your Nitrates to jump up. But I use them on 2 of my tanks and i Like them..

I use vinigar in my washing machine inside out the first time. Then flip them back and wash again with just water. I went 5 years without them and no I won't go more than a day.

Not exactly sure I can turn thm inside out. They have plastic inserts on the top that are not removable. Guess I'll pull them out and see what I can do as far as getting them inside out. Worse case I guess I just wash the heck out of them a few times in the washing machine.

Wash them in your washer with a little bleach then wash them again with just water. they are not a bad thing to have, it gets alot of bigger stuff out of the water, but make sure you change them when they get dirty, they can cause your Nitrates to jump up. But I use them on 2 of my tanks and i Like them..

+1 exactly what I do.

Well, I couldn't find any bleach, so I washed them twice with like 6-10 cap fulls of vinager. They are now in the third wash with just hot water to make sure everything comes out of them.

I can get them at my LFS, 11.99 each. Just seems like it's better to wash em out, maybe have a spare set as well.

Ya my sump takes one 7" sock. But I want to have a supply of at least 10 so i can wash them all at once and save water. $12 is expensive, I know I've seen them online for at least half that.

Back