filter socks

dragonnight914

Reefing newb
my new sump, an eshopps 100 reef sump came with a 7" filter sock. how should i clean the filter sock and how often. can i machine wash it. i has a plastic ring, will this be ok in the washer. should i use bleach or no.

I would just do it by hand. I think 10-15 minutes would just about do it. 1 part bleach to 4 parts water. You don't want the sock to rot.

I hate to go against my good friend, but I think the bleach is a no-no. I wouldn't put any detergent near my tank, just because one drop can really do some damage. I would recommend getting at least two more socks ready to go. I like to soak mine in just plain hot water and rinse for a day and let them air dry. Since I have 3 of them, one is allways ready to go.

I have the same socks(2 sets). Turn them inside out, and put them in the washing machine. I put in 10 caps of vinager with hot water. Run a full clcle, turn them back inside in and wash again in hot water. I normally do mine for 3 cycles. You can use bleach, but you need to use it in only the first cycle, run 2 more and then let them dry out. If you let the socks dry out completely after 2 hot water runs you should have no bleach left. Personally I have never used bleach except this last time. But have been told by numerous people that it is okay as long as you let your filter socks dry out completely after the washing.

IMG_1813.jpg

Before Vinager

IMG_1814.jpg

After vinager

Bleach is okay if you rinse it VERY thoroughly. However if you don't feel comfortable with it then don't use it. Same thing about putting your hands into the tank. You get all kinds of stuff on your hands but wash them and rinse them and your good to go.

As long as you rinse them really well after, and then let them dry out they will be fine. And besides, if you're not comfortable with the bleach, just use the vinager.

From the pics...It looks like that vinegar works really well. And there's no disagreement as to whether vinegar is safe.

I have half a dozen. I switch them out every few days, and when i have several dirty ones I do a wash in the washing machine with bleach only. Let them air dry for a couple days and you are good to go. Bulk Reef Supply has decent prices on them. Bleach evaporates as it dries. No worries.

Back