filter upgrade

hi on my tank i have x2 canister filters and have the chance of a hagen fluval fx5 canister filter any 1 own 1 of have had experiences with 1 if so any feedback would be great !!!

A HOB skimmer or in-tank (hydor slim skim) skimmer is probably your best bet, if you're not setup with a sump.

In regards to canister filters, they're 'ok' in fish only tanks, but not recommended for any tanks with corals; unlike planted freshwater tanks, there's really nothing in a reef tank to take up the extra nitrates being put out by a canister. A skimmer is much better because it pulls the waste out of your system before it get breaks down.

Better yet, look into making an algae scrubber:
https://www.livingreefs.com/build-algae-scrubber-t32422.html

i currently run a deltec skimmer and have a few powerheads running i would love to have a sump running but just dont have the room or the cash !!

I'm currently running 2 FX5 canisters but only as temporary powerheads to increase the flow. I had no issues with them working but as the others have said canisters are not the way to filter SW.

I have the Fluval 405 and it works okay. The only problem is I get a burst every now and then of sand on the outtake tube. I've been dealing with this for a long time and the Fluval company said I was the first to have this problem..lol. Can't find where it's gathering in the canister and can't stop it. I do like the chambers for different media. I stick chemi pure and purigen bags in there also. It is a pain to clean but I don't have the room under my tank for a sump. I'm running a cheap Odyssea skimmer and my water has always tested perfect.

yeah i currently run x2 aqua one external filters with living rock in bottom also phosphate remover bags and purigen bags also with carbon pads to help polish the water i am just thinking of upgrading to a bigger filter to get rid of the 2 i am currently running and water quality has always been good.

Back