Filters - Marineland or Fluval

Debbie

Reefing newb
Hi Everyone,

As previously stated I'm a newbie to saltwater aquariums. Yesterday we looked at our *pending* 75 gallon tank. We looked at a Marineland and a Fluval filter system both for 100 gallon tanks. Which would be better?

Yep....don't do filters like that. The only biofilter you need is live rock and live sand (even if you buy base rock and dry sand, it will eventually become live). You're better off investing in a good skimmer. Those canister filters are best left for freshwater. You can use them in saltwater, but it just adds more unnecessary work, imo, because you have to clean them out regularly otherwise they become nitrate factories. And if you change your mind later and decide to take them out, you'd have to do it slowly so as not to cause your tank to cycle.

oh.. thats what the aquaria store told me to do.. the 72 gallon tank isnt drilled.. and they told me to get the filter

Shop around for a good skimmer way better for saltwater! You can use a simple hang on back one like I have on my 75g. Reef Octopus brands are awesome

oh.. thats what the aquaria store told me to do.. the 72 gallon tank isnt drilled.. and they told me to get the filter

Well, if it's not predrilled, you can get a HOB (hang on back) overflow down to your sump, if you want a sump. Either way, a canister is the wrong thing to get for saltwater :)

+1 Everybody, Don't use a canister definitely look into a skimmer and a HOB overflow or you could even consider a HOB refugium if you don't want to do a sump. Ideally do a sump with an HOB or get the tank drilled for a sump.

Back