Filtration and weird fish behavior

mario_sa05

Reefing newb
Hi guys...thanks for checking this out...I need help deciding weather I should use just an air piump or a powerhead or both...I'm using both currently...the reason I am is that I had my powerhead running alone...20 gal. 2 weeks young..and my yellow tail blue damsel seemed like he was out of air...although he didn't reach for the surface...he is also the only fish there..the powerhead is a zoomed powersweep from petco and has the air tube that pulls oxygen...plenty of live rock..nitrate 20.,nitrite .5 alkality 300 ph 8.4 and s.grav 1.022

You should only need one powerhead for a 20 gallon tank. Maybe 2. Take off the air tube -- that's not good for your tank. There should be a cap or a plug or something to close it off. Do you have any ammonia readings? If your tank is 2 weeks old and you already have a fish in there, and you are showing nitrites, it sounds like your tank hasn't finished cycling yet. If so, that's why your fish is stressed. You shouldn't have any animals in your tank until it's finished cycling.

Aslo, aim the power head so that it ripples the surface of the water. Air stones in salt water just lead to a big mess. Every bubble that pops at the surface sprays a tiny amount of salt water over everything. Then the water evaporates and leaves the salt behind. This creates a HUGE mess.

What is your set up? What do you call plenty of live rock? You should have between 1-2 pounds per gallon.

Also, that salinity seems a bit low. Natural saltwater is 1.025. Raise it slowly over a few days.

Back