filtration for a 125 gallon tank

Discussion in 'Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment' started by Mayra66, May 30, 2014.

1. Mayra66

Mayra66

I am upgrading from a 55 gallon tank to a 125 gallon tank . im in need of some help on filtration am I suppose to use a sump or can I use a canister filtration system ? Or am I suppose to use both ?? please in need of help and suggestions:oops:

Mayra66, May 30, 2014
    1. Advertisements

2. Mayra66

salt_for_brains Alabama Reefer VIP Member

If you are using live rock that will be your biological filtration. Is your tank drilled for a sump? I prefer to run a sump on tanks that are bigger than "nano" tanks. You can hide your protein skimmer (as well as other equipment) in your sump and add a refugium if you would like. It will also give you more water volume. Canister filters are not very good in saltwater systems but some people use them to put carbon or some other type media.

salt_for_brains, May 30, 2014
    1. Advertisements

3. Mayra66

Mayra66

thank you for the info .the tank is set up for a sump.

Mayra66, May 30, 2014
  4. Mayra66

Aquarian

I agree with Salt, if you can do a sump it's the way to go. Canister filters are a headache waiting to happen

Aquarian, May 30, 2014
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question