Filtration help please!!!!!!!!!!!!

thegrim1444

Reefing newb
i am just wondering everyones opinion between a hang on the back mechanical filter or a canister filter. i have a 55 gal with 55lbs of live rock which is better for the tank and what brans are good for my tank

I have the same setup, with more rock. I got the same advice you are getting on here, and it is true. Spend a little extra money on a good skimmer, and skip the filter.

Filters are all fine and dandy for freshwater setups, but they don't even compare to skimmers when you talk about saltwater. If you get a good protein skimmer, you won't need any other type of filter.

I have a hang on the back filter and i just took out the filter pad i figured it would create some flow and the algea on in the filter would act as a biological filtration , is this bad for my tank..???

I have a hang on the back filter and i just took out the filter pad i figured it would create some flow and the algea on in the filter would act as a biological filtration , is this bad for my tank..???

Not at all, im running macro algae in my hang on filter in the sump. The sump is already too packed so i used the hang on filter for more room.

ya im using my old hob filter as a getto fuge took out all the pads and crap and stuffed small chunks of lr and cheeto on top. so far working nice

Back