Filtration question

Karlah

Reefing newb
Hi everyone,
I am new to saltwater tank keeping and was hoping that you guys may be able to help me out. I have a 33 gallon that I am hoping to set up as a reef tank, and because I'm terrified of screwing up, the tank has been sitting in the living room empty while I've been doing research for the last month.

The main issue I am having right now involves filtration. I am having a hard time deciding what to use on the tank. I just bought an aquac remora skimmer, because from what I have gathered, you can never go wrong with a decent protein skimmer. However, I am hearing some conflicting opinions about other forms of filtration. From the articles and forum posts I have read, canister filters just seem to provide a place for nitrates to build up. So I had ruled them out until yesterday, when I went to my LFS. The owner swears by them, and uses them on his tanks. Now I'm just confused.

I guess my question is, if this was your tank, what would you use? Any insight you can give me or experiences that you can share would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Done use canisters, they are terrible and most lfs people will tell you they are great in the hopes you will invest in them. They are expensive and provide little benefits with huge maintenance costs. A Protein skimmer, and your rock/sand will provide all the filtration you need with regular water changes.

Hello and Welcome!

+1 Cathic

A bunch of porous rock is the best investment you will make in your tank in regards to filtration, and you cant go wrong with a good skimmer either.

Back