Filtration

DavidA717

Soon to be Reef Expert
I have heard from a few sources that mechanical filtration isn't needed when you have a biological filtration source such as live rock. I wanted to know other peoples views on this subject

I would say that live rock is an extremely efficient method of filtration, when used in conjunction with a protein skimmer, which not only pulls junk out of the water, but also oxygenates the water. I used a canister filter in the past, but it contributed to nitrate problems... Unless you are prepared to spend a lot of time keeping them clean, I'd skip everything but a protein skimmer. However, I have seen a lot of amazing tanks that use canister, trickle, power, wet-dry filters, etc... So they do the job too. Just not as good as a protein skimmer, in my opinion.

i agree with biff...protein skimmers are a most in all tanks..i use also a powerhead for current...it wont hurt to have a power filter with media inside ..just clean it regulary...

i use a hang on filter on my 29 but i use it for putting a media bag of carbon or phosban, and on 125 i use a phosphate reactor for carbon and phosphate remover.

I use a HOB on my tank but I dont use any pads in it, I just use it for more flow. HOB or canisters are not needed. I have seen a skimmerless 29 gal and filterless run just fine the only thing they had on the tank was a HOB refugium.

same here more flow no pads just carbon or phosban if needed, i had 2 maxi jet 1200's but was too much flow so i use one and hang on filter, prefilter sponges on all though so don't loose my lettuce nudibranch.

I have a different opinion on mechanical filtration.Yes its not needed,but I like to keep my water polish and clear.I use filter floss in my sump to pull the fine particulates.As long as the floss is change often enough it won't become a biological filter which can trap nitrate/phosphate.I change the floss weekly BTW.

Before doing a water change,I blow the rocks off with a baster,without mechanical filtration the particles will just stay in the system.

I pretty much run my 55 like reef runs his system,only I use an emperor 400 HOB.I found that without some kind of mechanical filtration you get a nasty film on top of the water.
BUT,i run my 30 with an emperor 400,only its got live rock rubble in it.

I don't know about everyone else but I've always counted the crabs, snails, and shrimp as my mechanical filtration. It's not the traditional hang on back type but it's still a mechanical filter of sorts. My tank has only been up 5 months but the only filtration I have is a protein skimmer, sump with sand and macro algae, live rock, somewhere around 8 hermit crabs, 8ish snails and stomatallas, and a few peppermint shrimp. Water stays nice and clear and very little algae.

i am trying to find out as much about filters as possible. can you every have to much of a filter? i am looking at a berlin system with a skimmer and a refugium and i want to have live rock. is that a good idea? any suggestions?

i recently removed my canister filter. i think it has been the culprit of my algae growth. if it that wasn't the problem it was an amazing coincidence that after i removed it the algae growth has nearly cut in half. i cleaned it on an average of once a week and there was allways a ton of detritus and nasty gunk in the bottom. i thought it would be better for this junk to stay in the tank where it can get consumed by the janitors. rather than lay in the canister and rot.

canisters trap alot of gunk but i use to use for carbon and phosban but not i use phosphate reactor for carbon and phosban.

Back