filtration

315hottuna61

" Take a Kid Fishing "
I have a 55 gal ( high tank) that is cycling. I have a fluval 405 canister and want to replace it with something better . Please help me with the proper replacement . Thanx.

You dont need to drain and drill it, you can get an overflow box to get water down to sump. But they also make awesome HOB skimmers, and even a few that go directly in the tank. I would check out the reef octopus skimmers or the hydro bubble skimmers. Be sure to get one that is rated for twice your water volume and be wary of cheap skimmers.

But its important to realize that your rock is your primary source of filtration in your tank, which why its important to not skimp on the rocks. You want around 1-2 lbs per gallon. The other stuff is just to help out and make it a little easier to keep good water quality.

thanx everyone, i like the idea of a protein skimmer and weekly water changes. that should be enough to eliminate the fluval ( along with lots of live rock) . I have such a small amount of space- i must compact as much as possible

the thing about drilling the tank is you wont have to worry about overflwoing which happens fairly commonly with an overflow. its also nice not seeing some unsightly skimmer pump in the water. my tank isnt drilled and i wish it was, just an fyi.

Thanx to you both, i'm not too thrilled about emptying and drilling an already filled tank, so i think i'll go the other route

Back