Fin Rot

Here is a good article:

Reef Aquarium Water Parameters by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

Alkalinity of 6.4 is borderline low, but not too bad. There are products to raise alkalinity. I couldn't find online what the Coralline Gro contains, but it does say it's a buffer. Like Hannah said, most coralline accelerators are calcium supplements.

Thanks I will take a look at that...

Took a water sample into our local shop today - he was of the same opinion as most on here that there must be something wrong with our water an wanted to test it before suggesting any treatment as such. But after testing he agreed that the parameters could not really be more perfect.

I think we have to put it down to when we were away the water must have got really bad considering the state of the tank and the fish are just still recovering from it - or not in the case of the 3 we lost.

Dotty I think is looking a little better so fingers crossed she is on the mend!

The only other thing we are wondering about is an evil shrimp living in the tank. we often hear a click sound like something tapping on the glass---so whether we have a pistol shrimp or something that is nipping the fish I don't know? But then that would probably not explain the fin rot...

There are a few hermit crab shells and crab shell dumped in a pile in the same area....but then that is on the left of the tank and I would say the click comed from the right

Going to get a new CUC as well over the weekend. See if that gets rid of the fine green algae.

thanks again for help

Back