fin rot

So, friday i purchased a sand sifting goby,drip alc him in. 4 hrs later my hippo tang was 90% dead. I stuck her outside to visit mr. Winter i told my daughter. I looked her over and no signs of anything? Saturday morning my damsel looked rough and signs of fin rot. I pulled her out instantly and let her visit mr winter too. Now my beloved madarian seems to be under the weather? If i pull her out to treat her, she too will die b/c she is not converted yet. Can i treat my dt? I dont want to do this but i have two fish, madarian and sand sifter that need this enviroment 24/7? Ammonia 0, nitrates 0, nitrites 0, kh 10, phosphate less than .25. Sal. 1.025. Friday i did a 10g water change and upgraded powerheads to 2 hydor 1050. Lost for words

So, friday i purchased a sand sifting goby,drip alc him in. 4 hrs later my hippo tang was 90% dead. I stuck her outside to visit mr. Winter i told my daughter. I looked her over and no signs of anything?

Was the hippo already dead when you took it out? Or just 90%? You should've seen if it would have bounced back. Was it breathing heavy? How much flow do you have? It's possible that since you only had it for a week, it wasn't healthy to begin with. Was it eating? Maybe the damsel was bullying it.

Now my beloved madarian seems to be under the weather? If i pull her out to treat her, she too will die b/c she is not converted yet. Can i treat my dt?

How long have you had this fish? Was he heating frozen foods? A 2 month old tank is not long enough for you to have enough pods to sustain a mandarin's voarcious appetite. If it wasn't eating frozen, it could be starving. What do you mean by "not yet converted"?

No, you should never treat your DT unless you are treating for flatworms, in which case you can treat the dt w/ flatwormexit.

Saturday morning my damsel looked rough and signs of fin rot. I pulled her out instantly and let her visit mr winter too.

How long has it had fin rot? And again, did you put him down before he was actually dead? Fish can actually recover from fin rot. Was he eating?

It sounds like you should slow down, too. You need to wait a couple of months in between adding new fish. I've added as much as 3 at one time, but my system carries a total of 165 gallons, and I always wait at LEAST 5 months before adding (that's me being cautious). And sounds like you have many different things going on here.

I used my 120g holding tank for my refugium with 130 lbs of live rock. That has been set up now for 5 months, 3 weeks ago i plumbed for refugium. I puchased 3 batches of 2000 copepods and amphpods. By all means my question is to the point. How to treat a madarian and not how much water we have. The hippo and damsel always hung out together due to my bossy clown not liking the damsel. Hippo and clowns got along just fine. When i got home, he was against the overflow box and i released her from it to her flopping down to the bottom and sitting there for 2 hours breathing heavily.

How much flow do you have? do you have a ripple on the surface? and the pods need to be constantly replenished fyi. a mandatin can easily decimate your pod population if it is not eating frozen. we just need more info. can you post a pic of the mandarin?

Did your clowns die too? You didn't mention them still being in the tank in your earlier post. It sounds like you're trying to move a bit too fast. Slow down, take your time to assess the situation, especially before you add another fish. If you had a small ammonia spike from adding fish too fast, it's possible it happened fast enough that your water tests didn't catch it.

No the clowns looks happy in the anenome and open brain coral. Honesly i hate seening anything suffer so i did put down the damsel and hippo. When stuff floats, its in need of help and that was my decision. Yes i do have ripples, 2 1050 hydor powerheads and 1250gph return pump with 8ft of head, so ill say about 800gph return. All the lr in dt was with tank when i purchased. It was running for 2yrs. The 3 fish that were sick did hang out together on one side of dt, the clown that came with the tank is huge about 4 1/2inches and a bit bossy

Update! The mandarian is back at it! She is on the hunt again and her rapid breathing is not there anymore. Clowns are still great and the sand sifter...... Made a home under lr and i dont see him much.

Back