Finally added my first fish...

finestbeast

Reefing newb

So I added a damsel and he seems all well and good. Im planning on adding clowns (2) next week if my readings dont go crazy. Also...having a temp issue. I was keeping it at 78 but it jumped to 80-81 for some reason...I think my wife kept the lights on too long while I was working (she said "12 hours...right?")...lol...I told her limit it to 8 for now. Does anyone believe that it could be something else?

Stupid facebook...its blue with a yellow tail...dug himself a hiding spot under one of the rocks...funny fish...Im used to freshwater fish...who seem dopey...this lil fella explored every inch of the tank then the next thing i knew...sand was flying...he made himself a lil cave...he slept there last nite and is there again tonight...throughout the day he seemed to be exploring...

Cool it's a yellow tail damsel, I see you are wanting to add a pair of clowns any thoughts as to what type you want?

Also keep in mind that your damsel will claim the whole tank us his and any thing you add must be able to hold its own and stake a claim in his territory.

Clowns are in the damsel family so most will be ok with him.

I figured the fake clowns...they look like nemo to make my daughter happy. The after a goby and maybe a pair of firefish then im done (other then the anenome down the pipe)...nothing fancy

a royal gramma or maybe an orchid dottyback would probably fit in nicely. feed your tank well and move your rock around if you dont have a lot of coral. that helps to break up the teritory when you introduce new fish. if you decide to get all your new fish at once you could catch your yellowtail, put him in a bucket, add your new fish then add the yellowtail back the next day. also once your clowns pair up they might take over the whole tank. they are a damsel and can get fairly agressive . less or more depending on type. i have 3 yellowtail in my tank and they dont usually bother anyone. they are probably 4 yrs old now. you are going to have to be very careful about adding new fish in your tank. its not that big and its easy for a fish to regard the whole tank as his. try an aclimation box for new fish. 2 gallon jar with mesh for a lid works great and its cheap. try to get all your fish in there fairly soon and at a young imature age. as they grow up their normal personality and agression will come out and new fish will get killed. i would leave any new fish in aclimation box for at least a couple days. and yes its stressful but as i told the last person i'd rather sit in a box while the bully gets used to me then have him punch me in the face every time he walks by.

Last edited:
Im not looking to overload the tank...5 fish max...and i still plan on adding 2 more live rocks...im hoping that isnt too much. After the damsel and nemos im open to the other 2 fish...maybe just the gabby and be done with it...

5 fish is alot. You have a tall tank, not long. You'll need to pile up rock pretty high for all those fish. Do some reading, there is alot of info for you that you are missing. You should do some more reading before moving forward

Ive done nothing but reading for about 3 weeks now...and i get different answers for everywhere i go...the people here seem to know what theyre talking about...I do plan on building up the rock...its about halfway up the tank and im adding a rock a week...what number do you recommend? I have the damsel...getting two clowns and a goby...I could stop there...im flexible...think that'd work?

I only ask because I had a freshwater for years with about 6 fish(3 large 3 small) in it...I know salt is different and thats why Im here...thanx to everyone...btw...eventually i wanted an anemone...does that count as a fish?...

I was planning on adding it towards the end of the summer when ive got quite a few water changes uner my belt...and hopefully by then ill have a nice grasp on this...

There is nothing the same in fresh/saltwater. I don't use the same filtration on my pond as my swt and there's like 40 to 50 fish in there that breed like crazy and I leave them out there all winter and don't feed them from oct. To apr. I do 1 w/c a year and everything is fine. So point matter is don't use any info that you "used" on fresh.

Back