Finally added some color

2fastlx

Reefing newb
Made it out today and caught a some stuff for the tank. I got one juvenile gray angel and a juvenile queen. I also grabbed a handful of astrea snails and a small banded coral shrimp. They all seem happy for now, although the queen claimed an area in the center of the tank and isnt too keen on letting the gray into it. They are both busy picking away at my live rock instead of head butting the glass looking for a way out so I guess thats a plus. The banded coral shrimp hasnt quite figured things out yet and is sitting in the corner. Heres a couple pics of the new additions.
DSCF0803.jpg

DSCF0801.jpg

Not planning on corals, one of my favorite parts of keeping a tank is catching the fish for it. I find that the smaller I find the angels the more brilliant the color is. I used to feed brine shrimp but Ive read that myasis (sp?) shrimp are better. Do you recommend the frozen cubes for these guys?

I use the frozen flat packs myself, but I would assume they're generally the same thing. Just easier to manage in the cubes.

Cool. Im gonna run to the pet store tomorrow so Ill see what they have. One more question: Is it possible to have too much current? I only have one wavemaker in my 46 gallon and my fish seem to be working their tails off to stay where they want to be. I turned it off for a few minutes and they were exploring the whole tank rather than just being confined to an area between the rock. Should I try to keep the wave maker angled away from where the fish are congregating?

Fish constanly have current in the ocean, they'll get used to it and explore more eventually. If anything, I'd say that you need to add more powerheads into your tank. I've got 3 powerheads constantly going in my 28g tank.

Fish constanly have current in the ocean, they'll get used to it and explore more eventually. If anything, I'd say that you need to add more powerheads into your tank. I've got 3 powerheads constantly going in my 28g tank.

In the areas where I catch there is only a trickle of current at best on either tide. I guess Ill just keep an eye on them and see how they cope with it.

I love angels!....A french will be my next one..that gray juvi sure looks like a french,how do you tell the difference?
So,you caught these guys...man,i hate you :lol: JK thats awsome:Cheers:
Personally ,i feed mine tons of the same greens we eat......spinach,broccoli ,zucchini, brussel sprouts,i'm going to start peas too(read it was good for them also)I do also feed him Nori...
For flow IMO,i would get as much in there as possible..

Nemo,
The french angels have a yellow stripe right before the tail turns clear. The gray doesnt have that last stripe and the tail goes from black to clear. I have also noticed that french angels kind of "slither" through the water as they swim, where the grays keep their bodies more straight. I do like the frenches more in that they seem to be less aggressive in the tank, but they grays are much more plentiful in the wild.

Back