Finally building my sump!

Big K

Reefing newb
Hello, fellow wetarms!

I am getting around to building a sump/refugium for my 5 ga. tank. and have some questions.

I have a 1000 g/hr pump with a 3/4" outlet for my return and a 600 Ga/hr overflow box with a 1" outlet. The sump will be in my basement with about 10' of rise. Do you think I need to reduce the overflow down to 3/4" to make both up and down equal? Or can I regulate the flow via a ball valve?

Also, I have a storage tank for making saltwater and saw a really neat video about making a water change system using drip irrigation fittings. It drips water into the sump tank (like 1/2 ga/hr) and drains out via another drip fitting. I can easily run a pipe off into the sump with the fitting for the added water but need a way to remove the water as well. Could I tee into the downspout line with a drip fitting and drain out the old water that way? This would keep me from drilling my sump which I am reluctant to do because I already did my baffles and it'd suck to ruin it.

Thoughts, oh gurus of things aquarium?

as far as the overflow i would use 2 3/4 inch drains put a short stand off on one with a ball valve and put a longer on the other one. the one with the ball valve will be the main and adjust the return with it and the other will be a backup in case you would get a blockage in the main cuz you will only get about 300 or 400 gph into you tank maybe less with 90 degree elbows as far as the auto water change i cant help you there

Back