Al Vance

Reefing newb
This what I have:

2 Bubble Corals Large around 6 inches
1 goniopora
some Zoo's
1 bubble tip anemone
2 black and white clowns
1 blue hippo tang Small. (I have a good home for him once he outgrows my tank)
1 Cleaner Shrimp
lots of hermits and snails
1 emerald crab
1 Sand Sifting Starfish

I have 2 power head 20's
1 underwater fluval
1 hang on bio wheel
1 protein skimmer
1 UV sterilizer 9W that has a light stream of water coming out of it.
2 double 25W T5 2 Power Glo, 2 Marine Glo.

Please let me know you thoughts on placement and everything before I get any furthur.
Would it be worth it to build a sump maybe 10G for UV and Heater etc. Over flows a pain?

Attachments

• 602.jpg
    602.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 336
  • 601.jpg
    601.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 318
  • 600.jpg
    600.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 323
  • 597.jpg
    597.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 326
  • 599.jpg
    599.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 318
Thats a good looking tank Al.
I too think its time to pull the tang.
Also,just to touch on your other thread.I'm 90% sure your leathers are just getting ready to shed,after seeing the pics.But you really need to do something about the clown in your Goni.Their beating it to death.

Tangs need plenty of swimming room. It`s just not about the size of the tank it`s about the length of the tank. He`s not happy in that size tank. BTW everything else looks nice.

The bubble coral looks awesome and healthy. The tang has definitely outgrown the 20 gallon. They really need 100 gallons or more.

Gonioporas are pretty delicate and will get beat up if the clowns are hosting it. If you see its polyps staying retracted or rotting away, you will have to choose between the clowns and the goni. Clowns are pretty detrimental to most corals, in fact. They'll sometimes kill anything they try to host.

I paid 139 for this supposed mated pair.
The Goni caost me 50 Maybe i will try to work something out with my local store.
I bought both of these in Toronto at a Big Al's they never work with people.
Ive probably spent about 20 k ad sent another 50 there in 5 years and they still treat me like a novice. I'm talking freshwater not even salt water.
What would you do.
Can they host corals safely.
Should I buy another anemone maybe a pink tip will attract them?
The one is so territorial it bites me everytime im in the tank.
Its fine with my daughter and Wife.
I guess it is used to me in there touching powereads, doing water changes and so on.

I hate to say it,but you only got 2 choices.Either trade the clowns or the goni.
Once the clowns start using it as a host,they usually wont stop until its dead.

You could devise some kind of plastic protective cage to go over it so the clowns will leave it alone. Then get an anemone and once the clowns begin hosting it then you could remove the cage.

Back