Finally! My 75 Gallon Full Blown Reef!

A few questions...

I put a table shrimp in almost a week ago and now all that's left is slime. Should I put another one?

And I just did a KH test and it read over 200 ppm. Kinda high huh?

And... While I had the test kit out I tested the tap water and it read over 150 ppm? Is that common for tap water?

Good news! :D

I redid the sump with clear silicon and now it's much sturdier. :D

Can I put some chaeto in now or would the ammonia kill it?

Sooo... I've been making some changes to my future stock list.

I've come to really like the schooling fish look. I want you guys' personal opinions on this. How do you think these to stock lists compare...

3X: Dispar Anthias

3X: Green Chromis

ORA Watchman Goby

Kole Tang

Pair O' Clowns

Yellowhead Jawfish

My origional stock list:

ORA Watchman Goby

Tail Spot or Sailfin Blenny

Six Line Wrasse

White Banded Possum Wrasse

Kole Tang

ORA Mandarin

Pair O' Clowns

Yellowhead Jawfish

:?

I think everyone would get along with that list you have, but that is a lot of fish for 75. It might work, but I would take a couple years to work up to that many fish.

I think everyone would get along with that list you have, but that is a lot of fish for 75. It might work, but I would take a couple years to work up to that many fish.

Yah that's what I was thinking.

Liveaquaria says the anthias are care level moderate and says they might be hard to feed. How hard are they?

Well, they need to be fed frequently because they have a super high metabolism. They will do better if you let the reef mature and there are lots of natural food sources available for them to munch on between feedings

My understanding is they eat more planktonic critters and algae that floats into the water column, but i highly doubt they would turn down a tasty pod

I'm concerned about the kole tang being aggressive. Wonton's video really did it. :(

What are other I ideas for a large fish. I'm not really crazy about foxfaces. And an angelfish would probably be just as aggressive??

2 weeks into the cycle:

Ammonia: 0.2 ppm (was around 1 ppm)

Nitrite: 0.1 ppm

Nitrate: 0.2 ppm

Phosphate: 0.1 ppm

P.H.: 8.3-8.4

KH: 190-200 ppm

Calcium: 400-420 ppm

How do these parameters look? Isn't it kinda strange that It's showing some signs of nitrates even though the ammonia never got high and nitrites are still hardly detectable? And is the KH high? The test kit says it should be 140-200 ppm.

I was ordering some miscellaneous stuff from foster&smith and decided to order some Dr. Tim's One and Only. :D

Hopefully this will have my tank fully cycled withing a week, but the problem is... The lights won't be here for another 2 weeks. :?

So I'm thinking of what I could get. I guess I can't get my full cuc until the tank is more mature and I don't know if it's worth it getting a fish when I don't have the lights.

Any ideas?

So far I've dissolved 3 shrimp (minus what the protein skimmer collected) in the tank. What little ammonia I had (less than 1 ppm) is now pretty much gone. I'm not getting any signs of nitrites or nitrates.

Is the tank almost done cycling? I put in 4 oz. of Dr. Tims One and Only so that should help a lot.

Back