Finally...ordered some LR

Nedim

Reefing newb
Caribbean Live Rock to be exact. I ordered a 40lb box online from LiveAquaria.

I've done my homework on curing, I scared up a few small powerheads I had lying around and Im thinking of using the tub in the guest room for curing. Good idea or bad?

Since theres going to be such a large volume of water, how often should I do water changes during curing and are there any special water parameters I've overlooked?

I would use a cheap rubber maid container from walmart, there could be some toxins in your tub from soaps or from cleaning, also a bath tub holds more water that means more money for ro water and salt.I think the money you save in water and salt would be more than a cheap container, or if you got rid of your animals untill cycle finishes you could just cycle your tank with the live rock.Just my 0.2 cents though.

Not to mention that the curing process goes through a smelly stage. Your whole house will stink if you don't put it in a closable container.

i'd also be sure to check each rock for hitch hikers. Caribbean LR usualy comes with a ton of hitch hikers. some are cool like softies but the rock is notorious for having preditors like manits shrimp. I've been thinking of setting up a 29g with only caribbean LR and see what grows. awsome shapes too. I especially like Hatian rock great shapes.

PS your wife will kill you if you cure the rock in the house ;)

however the good thing is when it is completely established you should see it fade out for good if it does come back at that point something is offset.

Back