Finally, Pics R Here!!! Don't you wish your tank had fish like this???

Again Doc,great looking tank.I sure the 265g. will be awesome.I saw the nephia,I PM you soon,very soon!I getting close now.

BTW,whats your fish list?

reeffreak, I can give you a great cut of the nepthia. Waiting for your PM. My current fish list or when I have the 265?

Winy,

I am using PC's on my 125. I have one four foot light at 260 watts and three two foot lamps at 130 a piece. Total wattage is 5.2 watts per gallon. Perfect for my LPS, BTA, softies, and Zoas. I tried a clam once and it did not hold its color nor have I had success with SPS. Just not enough light. I run a combo of true actynics and the blue actynics. The combo of purplish light and the blue seem to make the colors in the fish stand out better. I will upgrade to MH when I add the 265. I will use these lights for the 265 to only grow softies and leathers and will put MH on the 125 and turn it into a more traditional reef. I am also making secret plans on a ground level touch tank like at Shark Reef in Vegas. I have found an easy, cheap way to make an 800 gallon touch tank with a stingray and three sharks (whitespotted bamboo, brown banded bamboo and a bonnethead). That plan will take a bit more time to realize.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

reeffreak, I can give you a great cut of the nepthia. Waiting for your PM. My current fish list or when I have the 265?

Winy,

I am using PC's on my 125. I have one four foot light at 260 watts and three two foot lamps at 130 a piece. Total wattage is 5.2 watts per gallon. Perfect for my LPS, BTA, softies, and Zoas. I tried a clam once and it did not hold its color nor have I had success with SPS. Just not enough light. I run a combo of true actynics and the blue actynics. The combo of purplish light and the blue seem to make the colors in the fish stand out better. I will upgrade to MH when I add the 265. I will use these lights for the 265 to only grow softies and leathers and will put MH on the 125 and turn it into a more traditional reef. I am also making secret plans on a ground level touch tank like at Shark Reef in Vegas. I have found an easy, cheap way to make an 800 gallon touch tank with a stingray and three sharks (whitespotted bamboo, brown banded bamboo and a bonnethead). That plan will take a bit more time to realize.

Yep that makes sense (I thought the pics looked very bright) if you can add a bit more blue actinic your LPS will color up alot)

you scare me, I have been thinking of setting up a touch tank for sharks as well.... this will probably be way down the line. I need to finish the projects I have going right now. Some day I will have a saltwater swimming pool that I can swim with my fish.:sfish:

thats kinda creepy, since I have been also planning a swimming pool as well as the touch tank. I have plans drawn up for the touch tank and I will bite the bullet and moderate the size from 800 down to 400 gallons to make it more realistic. When I built it, you can come up and visit. I will have three sharks and a stingray, although 400 gallons is not quite large enough for the bonnethead.

As for the swimming pool, indoor enclosure is a must to save heating / cooling costs and to keep the neighbors dog from jumping in and destroying everything. The pool set up with filtration was $160,000. Sand livestock. A pretty big chunk of change. I might need to pick up a few clients on the side to save up that kind of money. Still in fantasy land, but wouldn't it be nice. I will be happy with the touch tank - that will only run me three grand.

Definetly enclosed I think green house type that way you save on heating and lighting.

How are you going to built the touch tank? are you using acrylic or will you make it similar to a pool? and what type of filtration are you going to use?

Sorry so many questions, but thats not a bad price for the tank.

Ancient Chinese Secret...(my apologies if my lack of political correctness hurts the feelings of any chinese americans reading this post). Pool style, much like what you find in Shark Reef in Vegas, except only about 18 inches deep as opposed to 2.5 feet deep. Filtration, 60 gallon sump, 2 protein skimmers, four small heaters, bio-balls, two skimmers, lots of carbon in filter bags, and two powerheads in addition to the return flow from the sump. Total cost will be about $2,500 including the sharks, sand and rocks I will use to make ledges. No need for fancy lighting since there will be no corals. Acryllic is SOOOO expensive and since it is flat on the ground, you can see right into the water and don't need the side view.

I love the Koran Angel.

Had one of those back when I was a teenager and doing saltwater with undergravel filters and powerheads. It kept them alive, but it was a lot of work.

Beautiful tank. Nice video too. I like that fact that I can hear the water rippling and hear the splashing as the fish feed. I am also into Radio Control airplanes. Guys make videos all the time, but they mix some stupid Led Zepplin song or Enya to their flying and ya can't hear the motor running. Whats the point if ya can't hear the horsepower growling and barking? :frustrat:

Nice job.

I enjoy my Koran as well, but I must admit, I am tied between my favorites in my tank: Blue Angel, Emperor Angel and Regal Blue Tang, Koran is a close fourth to those three. Some one asked my fish list in this tank, so here it is - measuring from snout to tail (some measure from gill to start of tail, not sure if that works or not)

1 Yellow-bellied damsel (he cycled my tank) - 2 inches
2 Ocellaris Clowns (mated pair, but no eggs yet - probably won't with all of the competition for food) - 3 inches total
1 Vermiculated Angelfish - 2 inches
1 Blue Angelfish - 3 inches
1 Powder Blue Tang - 4 inches
1 Regal Blue Tang - 5 inches
1 Koran Angelfish - 5 inches
1 Emperor Angelfish - 8 inches

total = 32 inches of fish

Thanks Doc,I'm the one who was asking.I was looking more at your stocking list and was just getting an idea on how much fish(and what kind) to keep in the 210.What does this look like:

2 Gold-Stripe Maroon Clowns(Mated pair)
2 Black and White Clowns(Mated pair-risky with the Maroons)
2 Tangs(I'm thinking Powder Blue,Powder Brown,Naso or Naso Blonde)
1-2 Lineatus Wrasse(male and female if this works-expensive fish though)
3 Barlett's Anthias or Bimaculatus(one male,two females)

I know what you're gonna say....where's the Angels?I love corals too much to risk it.What else would make good additions besides Angels?

Last edited:
In a 210, you have lots of room, like 50+ inches. If you don't have the man-nuts to do angels (snicker, snicker... poke, poke)Go with three or four tangs. Naso blonde is a giant at about 18 inches in the wild which will equate to about 12inches + in your tank, over time. You are taking a risk with the two sets of Clowns, but if you are dead set, add the maroons last - they are the true bastards of the species. I like the wrasse choice, but I am not sure the anthias will make it with so many aggressive fish (clowns, tangs, wrasses). Bartletts are just too slow to eat and tend to get freaked out fast - they will hide and starve. Back to the tangs: look to get three from the different genuses (is that a word?) Acanthurus (Powder blue, brown or best bet for beauty...SOHAL - now there is a BEAUTIFUL fish), Naso lituratus (Blonde Naso Tang), Paracanthurus (Regal Blue - Dory), and Zebramosa (purple tang or Desjardini). If they are all different families and added close together - starting with the smallest specimen and increasing size til you are done, all the tangs should play nice. I am also a sucker for the bluejaw (or bluechin) trigger. they tend to be reef safe if the ornamental shrimps have been added first. Lots of room, lots of choices, GREAT problem to have!!!

Okay let me get this straight,
I will try the different tang species.
Does that only hold true for the Barlett's or all Anthias?

Thanks again,I'll skip the Trigger(yes I'm chicken sh!t).They like to redecorate the decor besides all the other risk.

According to the books, the bicolor anthias can handle the stress of having more aggressive tankmates. I have had three in my tank once, a long time ago and the did great until I went on vacation and I came home to find 2/3 of one and 1/4 of another - my triggerfish and shark ate them - that was during a rather difficult time in my life when I was REALLY into experimenting with my fish. So I cannot vouch for them with tangs. I have also tried bartlett's (Christmas Anthias) and purple queens. They did not do well with just one tang and slowly died off. My understanding is that any zooplankton feeder (anthias) are best kept with nonaggressive tankmates only. You might be able to get away with bicolors if they are established first and if you have a good sized school - 5 or so. Sorry for the bad news. On the other hand, your choice of tangs will make you happy. Get a Sohal, really, they are amazing - just add it last, they can get quite aggressive, but WOW are they beautiful with their long flowing tails.

Back