Finally time for a sump/fuge

Ithaca9

Reefing newb
I’m planning on setting up a sump with refugium. I am really inexperienced when it comes to this so I’m sure I’ll have a few questions, even after reading as many old posts as I could get my hands on...

I’m thinking of using a 10 gallon tank and putting my Deltec HOB inside of it (yeah I know, it might not make any sense, but I’m sick of the bubbles in the tank and the way it sits on the lip of the tank, water leaks slowly from the out-take part..), also have a small area for return, and the rest will be a refugium with DSB, possibly some small pieces of rock, and macroalgae. I’d like to have as snug a spot for the return and skimmer as possible to expand the amount of room for the refugium. The reason for the small tank size is the lack of space to get a tank underneath my stand. If I can find a rubbermaid tote or a larger tank that will fit... I'll do it.

Any ideas to where I should set things up in the sump? Can the heater go in the fuge or should it go somewhere else? I've been looking at a lot of different pictures and can't figure out why certain schemes are done.

How loud are mag pumps? My ultimate goal is to have a relatively quiet setup, and so far the loudest thing in my setup is the fan for the lights. I found another option... does anyone have experience with this? I like the energy efficiency of the mags though.
Quiet One Pump
Aquarium Water Pumps & Water Movement: Lifegard Aquatics Quiet One Pumps

Also, What size mag would I need for a 46gal tank/10 gal fuge?
What size overflow box? Reef Aquarium Filtration: Eshopps Overflow Boxes

Or does someone else have a better suggestion for overflow?

Last questions... I read that if I have a sump I can control the water level from the sump and the tank level will remain constant? True? How? I’m confused. Also, how do I make the inflow equal the outflow? I don’t understand how a pump going up can provide a perfectly equal and opposite flow to the gravity pulling H2O out of the tank.

If anyone has any other resources for me, it would be greatly appreciated. I’ve been reading Melev’s site and this site so far.

-Thank you- to everyone in advance for your help!

Last edited:
I use Quiet One pumps. One reason is because the Mags were too loud. I've used the 6000 and the 14000 models and like them both very much. You can use them in or out of your sump (except one model). I use two at a time. I have had one freeze up but returned it for replacement.

Update... I picked up a 20H gallon tank, I'm going to use that for the sump. The Deltec (MCE600) is going to go either in the sump or hang outside of it. Since it's not a typical in-sump skimmer (but can be used either as in-sump or HOB according to the instructions and specs), I don't think I need a separate area for the skimmer since I can have the water level higher (I think?). With these options, what types of layouts can I play around with? I really still don't understand this whole thing, but really want to hide some of this equipment and integrate a refugium into my system, so it's time I start to plan.

Last edited:
Anyone yet have any ideas on what size pump and overflow to order? I'll be running ~4 feet of pvc (I think) from pump to tank. Do I go a little bit bigger with the overflow box and smaller with the pump, then control the overflow with a ball valve? Or do I do the opposite?

Still don't understand how I will get inflow to equal outflow... Or is this something you have to tinker with until it's perfect?

I'd go with an overflow thats rated for at least 600gph.1200 would be even better,but thats my personal oppenion.That way you dont have to worry if its big enough to handle whatever pump you decide on.
And as far as pumps go,I've never had any problems out of my mag drive.I ran a mag 5 on my 75 gal,running a mag 12 on my 125.Something along the lines of a mag 5 would be about perfect for your tank.

Back