finaly got some :)

Kwater

Chill
i got three seahorses in my new 20 gallon aquarium, they are the first additions, i allready know a good amount about them but for all of you who have kept seahorses is there any advice you could give me??? thanx :)

Yes, unless you have the pixies or the h. fuscus you probably need a bigger, taller tank. They need at least 18 inches of vertical hight or you run the risk of getting gas bubble problems.

Also dont forget that they need lots of hitching posts, and they like to be snuggled up to things (they dont really like open space).

I also really hope you got captive breed seahorses that are already eating frozen.

Good luck! I hope you enjoy them as much as i have enjoyed mine!

yes they are products of ORA and the store manger fed them some frozen food and they ate it right up :).
i cant rember the name but they are some what yellow and i belive they dont need too large of a tank from what they told me. :o
i have given them a mangrove, rock and some chato to hook onto and i will prob get more algie for them to cling to :)
glad to hear u like yours, its a good sighn :D

Cool, they are probably h. kuda then. It really isnt tank volume that is important with seahorses, its how tall your tank is. I cant stress how important it is that they have that 18 inches minimum.

The mangrove is good, but they are going to need more than rocks and cheato to hook onto, you should look into these:

<head> <title>Macro Algae : Your Source For Quality Marine Plants and Macroalgae

<head> <title>Macro Algae : Your Source For Quality Marine Plants and Macroalgae

Both of them look really nice and the seahorses really love them!

I do have to tell you though, i dont know of any LFS store people that i would take seahorse advice from, their needs are so different from the standard fish that i dont think very many of them know much about them or their needs. Remember, your lfs is trying to sell you stuff, so they are more than likely going to tell you something is going to fit in your tank, even when it probably wont. Yotes store is probably the only exception. Also they are very dirty fish, you are going to have to monitor your water quality very carefully in such a small tank.

What and how much are you feeding them?

Also, pics please!!!!!!!

ok thanx i will look into those, i am planing on getting them more stuff to hook onto :)

right now i am feeding them the same thing i feed the fish in my 80 gallon,rozen myses shrinp, brine shrimp, and some other stuff, i also plan to get some live cocapods.
i will try to get a couple pics.

:( i wish i would have known that about the tank being 18 inches high, mine is only like 10 inches, i hope they will be ok

I cannot stress to you how critical it is you get them into a taller tank. You are going to have issues, they will get gas bubbles in their pouch when they try and do the mating rise. And let me tell you, pouch problems are scary. Perhaps the biggest issue with the short tank is that it will stress them out, and like all other fish, stressed = dead.

That food is great for them, but lean more towards the mysids. An adult seahorse should eat 4-7 per day. And remember the brine shrimp is like candy and shouldnt be their main food source, and probably only a once and a while treat unless you hatch them yourself and enrich them. They also shouldnt be getting all of their food from pods. Those are just snacks between meals.

Please dont take this the wrong way, but if you didnt know about the hight thing - you didnt do nearly enough research. That is one of the first thing that comes up about seahorses - they need depth not width. But that is ok because im going to give you some sites where you can get real info on seahorse and we can save this situation.

Seahorses - Hippocampus kuda
Notice that it says minimum hight of 18 inches!

ORA | PRODUCTS | FISH | SEAHORSES

Seahorse.com - Seahorse, Sea Life, Marine Life, Aquafarm Sales, Feeds and Accessories - Seahorse Life - An Introduction

This is probably one of the best places to get seahorse info, by taking their seahorse lessons. Just email them and they will send you your lessons. Trust me, you wont regret it, and Pete (who does the lessons) will answer any questions you have, even after the lessons. He recently helped me through a pouch infection in my male.

Seahorse Organisation. Keeping and Breeding Seahorses in the home aquarium.

This is THE forum for seahorses. It might also be the largest collection of seahorse knowledge.

yah i agree, wow, :( everyone i talked to said they do fine in a small tank :(

ight i will feed more mysids shrimp instead of brine.
thanx for the artical

Kevin the only advice I can offer is to say..... Don't try to ride them! :lol: :mrgreen:

Seriously good luck with them. Pics coming soon I hope. :)

Did you talk to anyone who owned them? Because they really wont do well in a small tank, and it was totally irresponsible of whoever talked to you and sold you those horses with out making sure you had the correct set up. While they do like to be in tight herds, this doesnt mean they are good for a tiny, short tank. You should take immediate action to fix this. Please do better research next time you buy something.

Also brine should be a once a week kinda thing, plus is will screw with your water quality. Also seahorses need to be feed twice a day minimum, three is better if you can manage it.

Check a local forum for their classifieds, you can normally find CHEAP used tanks that would suit your needs on the cheap.

ok, yah i am feeding them twice a day right now with mixed foods.

i just measured the tank, including the displcment of sand and rock, the tank is exactialy 20 gallons. and the tank is not 10 in like i thought it is 14 inches high.
yes he told me they like to be in pairs, that is why i got three of them.

Check a local forum for their classifieds, you can normally find CHEAP used tanks that would suit your needs on the cheap.

if i got a new tank wouldent i have to let it cycle again though, maby not for the full 4 weeks considering i would transport my sand and rock though. plus i am broke, i am just a kid with just enoughf money to give them everything they need, my dad will kill me if i ask for more, considering my 80 gallon cost me 240 every 2 weeks on avrage. :o

my 80 gallon cost me 240 every 2 weeks on avrage. :o

Yeah, what? That's more than both of my car payments combined each month. If he's telling you that's the cost in electricity, he's LYING. You can calculate exactly how much electricity your system uses, and believe me, it's nothing near $500 a month!!

Yeah, what? That's more than both of my car payments combined each month. If he's telling you that's the cost in electricity, he's LYING. You can calculate exactly how much electricity your system uses, and believe me, it's nothing near $500 a month!!

oh come on Biff its the California inflation rule lmao:mrgreen:

I think you could move all your rock over and have no cycle, just leave the tank bare bottom for a week or so and then add new or thoroughly cleaned sand from the other tank.

Plus, those ORA horses, especially the more exotic seahorses, like the kuda are really expensive. Surely you have a little cash laying around to give them a proper home. Look for a tall tank, they make them just like that, and it will be perfect for them. Call your local lfs stores, im sure they know who is selling out and where you can get one cheap or check out craigslist. These guys are so amazing, and so much fun, i just love mine, you really should give them the proper home so you can enjoy them for a long time.

But if you cannot get a new tank, i would suck out the sand to give them that extra inch, and stuff it with some pretty macro and hope and pray they dont end up with bubble issues. I would bet you call around you could find some of the pretty macros for free as well. Cheato is not going to cut for hitching posts. One coral that the do really love to hitch is the gorgs, but they are hard to keep in our tanks so before you buy make sure your system is ready for one, and research the one you do buy. There are different levels of difficulty with them. The browns ones are easier, the more colorful the harder they are.

Other seahorse stuff you should know - no stinging corals, no inverts that are going to grab their tails, especially watch out for the pest nems, they can spell death for seahorses because of the stings. I would go with a snail only CUC. They also dont always like bright lights, so make sure they have a shady cave they can go to.

Back