finaly got some :)

If you cannot find any macro in a week i will actually send some clippings from my tank, but please make the effort to find some.

Warning: stay away from the feathered calupera (?) it can become a pest far too easily.

I think you could move all your rock over and have no cycle, just leave the tank bare bottom for a week or so and then add new or thoroughly cleaned sand from the other tank.

Plus, those ORA horses, especially the more exotic seahorses, like the kuda are really expensive. Surely you have a little cash laying around to give them a proper home. Look for a tall tank, they make them just like that, and it will be perfect for them. Call your local lfs stores, im sure they know who is selling out and where you can get one cheap or check out craigslist. These guys are so amazing, and so much fun, i just love mine, you really should give them the proper home so you can enjoy them for a long time.

But if you cannot get a new tank, i would suck out the sand to give them that extra inch, and stuff it with some pretty macro and hope and pray they dont end up with bubble issues. I would bet you call around you could find some of the pretty macros for free as well. Cheato is not going to cut for hitching posts. One coral that the do really love to hitch is the gorgs, but they are hard to keep in our tanks so before you buy make sure your system is ready for one, and research the one you do buy. There are different levels of difficulty with them. The browns ones are easier, the more colorful the harder they are.

Other seahorse stuff you should know - no stinging corals, no inverts that are going to grab their tails, especially watch out for the pest nems, they can spell death for seahorses because of the stings. I would go with a snail only CUC. They also dont always like bright lights, so make sure they have a shady cave they can go to.
what about sand sifting stars or CC stars or any stars in general with Seahorses??

Other than the green stars of death which can be problematic with any fish, i dont know of any problems with the reef safe ones. But because they are a slow, sedentary fish the predatory ones can catch and eat them.

Also, contrary to popular opinion seahorses do like flow, just so long as they have something to hold onto. So dont leave your tank flowless.

haha no that is not counting electriciy, cuz u are correct that would be far too hard to calculate, i spend 240 a week on just materal matter for da tank.

to little_fish: i am gona go to my lfs tommorow and look for the types of algie u recomended me, i allready have one species of it in my tank, but it is very small because it was just a little piece i found in my refugium. i have low flow in the tank, not no flow, but low flow, i plan to make the left side and into the middle planted with there desirable types of algae so they feel comfortable, the only thing i am worried about is if none of the lfs in my area have it because i have never seen those types before, the very small pice i have with the bubbles on it i got at reef a paloza so i will only contact you if i can absoutley not find it at all at any of the fish stores in my area. thanx for all of youre help.

just wondering, what exactialy are the sighns of gas bubble disease??

i also forgot, i have metal halide on the tank to support the corals in the tank but there is a cave that is about half the tank length for them, but i have never seen them go in it :0

haha no that is not counting electriciy, cuz u are correct that would be far too hard to calculate, i spend 240 a week on just materal matter for da tank.

to little_fish: i am gona go to my lfs tommorow and look for the types of algie u recomended me, i allready have one species of it in my tank, but it is very small because it was just a little piece i found in my refugium. i have low flow in the tank, not no flow, but low flow, i plan to make the left side and into the middle planted with there desirable types of algae so they feel comfortable, the only thing i am worried about is if none of the lfs in my area have it because i have never seen those types before, the very small pice i have with the bubbles on it i got at reef a paloza so i will only contact you if i can absoutley not find it at all at any of the fish stores in my area. thanx for all of youre help.

just wondering, what exactly are the sighns of gas bubble disease??

240 a week is still vary vary steep for just weekly maintenance? I don't even spend that a month for any of the tanks I take care of or own. hell the carbon and noodles are the most expansive part of it all. The 4 types of food that I get do not really cost me much at all. I buy every thing in mass bulk so that does help. If I add up what I spend a month its prob 135 at most. Just wondering what makes your week to week so darn expensive?

But then again every ones tank needs are different. My costs would not be the same as yours, Yote, Biff, smitty or KarenJax. So with that in mind wow I do have to say I'm glad I'm not in your maintenance bracket for weekly tank cost. That's really sucks I know I could not do this if it was going to cost me that much every week... Any who I'd look for a way to make the cost much less than what it is now if you can. Then there would be room to play on tank friends :D

I spend a lot on my tanks, but I also buy crap I don't really need (as Biff points out).

Hahaha! David, singlehandedly keeping the economy of worthless aquarium supplies going during the recessesion! You are providing a valuable service to our country! Think of how many people you have kept employed with your purchases! You, Sir, are a patriot! :rofl:

The important thing is, you are trying to do the best you can for your tank, and trying to use new products to make things work. Besides, half the stuff you buy, no one has ever heard of. You broaden our horizons and expose us to new ideas!

Last edited:
....$240 every two weeks? How exactly is that possible? lol collecting gold plated live rock is only fun for a short period of time lol and has no proven possitive effects on the well being of your tanks inhabitants, its just more for look. lol

I have a 75 gal freshwater tank, 200 gal saltwater tank, a 90 gal saltwater tank, 75 gal reptile cage, chickens, dogs, and horses and with all the feed and maintance I spend 200.00 a month. Where are you getting 240.00 every 2 weeks. No offense but your full of it.

i promise, we kept track of it, with phosguard, nitrate remover, polyfilters, new mechanical filtration, corals, mud, and supplements. i dont get how some people dont even spend 100 a week, i dont thaink i could even do that. and it is not my moneyb it is my dads, he is happy to support the tanks luckly.

Most people don't use nitrate remove, polyfilters, mechanical filtration, mud (which only needs to be replaced every 6 months to a year) and use very few supplements (one bottle should last you months).

I think if you wanted to save money, you could get rid of that stuff. Mechanical filtration isn't good for saltwater tanks anyways.

hell i dont spend 50 but every so often when i buy a fish or sum rock,i spend more money smoking than on my tank lol i could not repeat could not spend that much money,half my paycheck every 2 weeks???? is this including other pets or just your tank?

Back