Finger Leather

stb06

Reefing newb
I got a piece of Finger Leather from a friend but I can not figure out how to keep it stationary in my tank. Everywhere I try to put it, it ends up fall out or floating away. Any ideas on how I can put it in my tank? I also got a mushroom polyp that is not connected to anything. How do I get it to connect to something? Thanks!!!

You can put a dollop of superglue gel on the bottom of the leather and place it where you want it, or you can simply wedge it in between some rocks. An alternative is taking a needle and thread and go through the base of the leather and "tie" it to a rock. It will attach itself eventually, but sandwiching it in between pieces of rock is probably your best bet.

Oops missed that part of your question. Sorry. The polyp will just float around unless you attach it to something. I've found the best way to do this is to take a plastic cup, put live rock rubble in the bottom, put the shroom in the cup, and then use a rubber band to secure a piece of mesh fabric (like bridal veil) to the top of the cup. Then just set the cup in your tank, and wait for the shroom to attach (it can take a week or two). This way the shroom gets light and flow, but can't float off.

Wouldn't it be safe to also say that you could probably rubber band the mushroom to a rock and it would serve a s a dual purpose and split the mushroom into 2 from contracting and expanding and would also attach it to a rock.

Mushrooms need lower flow, but more importantly not intense lighting so if your running mh lighting or something to that effect set it in a shaded area in the tank.

Well I had to use a rubber band to hold down the finger leather. Is this going to be ok? Will it grow onto the rock? Will I be able to remove the rubber band eventually because its not the best tank decoration.

I also have another question. If am keeping a tank with fish and soft coral, what are the most important test to do? I was also told that my salt count was a little low. How can I fix this problem and what kind of tool do I use to measure the salinity?

Off topic question: Is it prefered that I start a new thread for each question that is not related to a current thread that currently have going?

when water evaporates only add fresh ro/di water cause salt doesn't evaporate only water, so if you need higher salinity make up a batch of salt water and add until your salinity raise to were it needs to be. you need to test for phosphates, ph, alkalinity, nitrates. when you get lps or sps corals than you have to worry about other elements to test for.

dont get instant ocean they read like 3 points high for some reason as far as hydrometers go but a good investment would to get a 40 dollar refractometer, i bought mine from premium aquatics it was sybon brand which is good brand good price compared to other websites prices on sybon brand.

You should definitely have a hydrometer or refractometer at home to test your salinity yourself. Your salinity should be between 1.021 and 1.026.

If yours is too low, then gradually add extra salty water on a daily basis to bring it up. Bringing it up to the correct level too quickly is more harmful than having it too low, so whatever you do, make sure you do it over a period of at least a week.

Back