Finnex Lights?

PRC

Stop Quoting Me!
I have the opportunity to pick up a 4' 4 bulb T5 light from CL for $70.00 One of the moonlights is burnt. I don't know anytiing about the Finnex brand, and their site is under construction. Does anybody have any input on the quality of these lights? Does this sound like a decent deal?

Thanks.

Last edited:
It is a good deal, but they're not going to be enough for a 90 gallon tank, if they are your only lights. They would be good for a tank half that size, or for use as a back up.

I also have a 90 gallon tank. I just bought lights last week (they're being delivered today -- yay!!!!!!!!!).

Your choices with a tank that size are MH or T5s with individual reflectors. Aquatraders has a 4' MH/T5 combo that is around $300. I ended up going with the Nova Extreme Pros which were about $350. The biggest reason why I chose the Nova Pros over the MH/T5 combo was power consumption. My electric bill would have been much higher with the MH. My choices boiled down to those two, since I'm on a budget. If you go with T5s, you will want a 6 bulb T5 setup with individual reflectors, or an 8 bulb setup without.

You're going to want a 8 bulb fixture. Tek, Nova, or even check out the Sun Blaze. The tek and sun blaze do not have fans. I have not heard of any problems with them. My LFS runs the teks over their tanks and have no problems. Hell even Icecap just came out with fixtues with no fans. So you can get away with out fans. If cooling ever did become an issue you can always get a small clip on fan.

8 bulbs will allow you to come uo with a good color combo and keep anything you want.

Biff, thanks. The guy also has a 6 bulb T5HO Finnex for 220. Still in the box. for $220 still a good deal? and gets me where I need right? I think I'm in the same boat as you...trying to get the right lighting, but also I also don't feel like explaining to the boss (wife) why our electric bill just went through the roof.

If that 6 bulb fixture has individual reflectors,then it'd do the job.
But offer him 180 cash and see if he'll come down some:D

Biff, thanks. The guy also has a 6 bulb T5HO Finnex for 220. Still in the box. for $220 still a good deal? and gets me where I need right? I think I'm in the same boat as you...trying to get the right lighting, but also I also don't feel like explaining to the boss (wife) why our electric bill just went through the roof.

If it really has 6 bulbs w/ individual reflectors then its an excellent buy.I do have to say that I couldn't find any Finnex online with more than 4 bulbs.They are good fixtures though.

Back