Firefish/ Dartfish question

breebauer

Reefing newb
Is there a way to tell the sex of these fish? :question:

Or are they like clownfish and start off as males and then one of the pair becomes a female after a while?

I bought one last week at the LFS, and went back as soon as they got another one in. And of course they didn't know who to tell the difference between males and females. I read that 2 males in a tank may fight.

I have another tank, so if I have to separate them, it's no biggie, but I'd like to have a pair.

Thanks again for any help!

I've never tried to sex my firefish. And I've thrown multiple ones in together and have never had them fight. I don't think it's much of a risk. And I'm not aware of any way to tell their genders.

Ok, great!
Thanks, I feel alot better now.

They seem to be getting along fine, so far:

fish062.jpg

(Can you believe I actually got a picture of the both of them?)

There's so many sources (online and print) that say the males have a tendency to fight, but none tell you how to tell the difference. They also go on to talk about how they can usually be overly shy, depending on the personality of the fish.

Although, the one that I bought last week (bottom) is extremely sociable, and the new one (top) seems to be following suit. The new one is also a little bigger, not sure if that makes a difference.

I was tempted to get the other type of firefish today (purple), because I didn't want them fighting, (and it was really pretty) but he seemed really shy.

If I got a pair of purple firefish, I wonder if they'd be ok in the same tank...

A firefish species tank would be really nice... to think about... for now....

:nono: No more fish tank stuff until after the Christmas, I swear...:grumble:

Nice firefish.
I don't think purples and reds will mix in a small tank,maybe 75g or larger might work.At least I hope so,I might put 3 purples and 3 reds in mine.

Thanks!

I knew that I needed a few fish, and Dr. Marco suggested a pair of firefish. Thanks again!

My LFS leaves alot to be desired as far as SW, but they actually had one. I bought it, and went back as soon as they got another.

I'm happy, they're happy (I think)

Or a remote control one one side and a credit card on the other?

:sfish::sfish::sfish::sfish::sfish:

(I'll take the credit card):bounce:

Great choice for your tank! They look great. I am glad they are hanging out together. As cool as it would be, in a smaller tank, the purple and reds would not get along. The purple ones would beat up on the red ones.

Way to get them both together. I have had the hardest time trying to get my fish to cooperate with a family photo

-Doc

Back