First Algae Bloom!

Kully3xf

Reefer Madness
Hey guy's. So recently i bought a super awesome clam for the tank and my water peramiters have been perfect up untill yesterday, (saturday mornings are my "science days"). At my LFS the guy told me i need to feed the clam and sold me a bottle of stuff for filter feeders, the bottle said to pour 5ml for every ten gallons every other day, so i poured in 3 caps=15mL. today i have a massive green algal bloom. How can i avoid this happening and still feed my clam?!

TIA

You shouldnt need to feed your clam, if your lights arent strong enough for the clam, feeding it wont be able to compensate for that. Also if you clam is in the stage where it does need to be feed, there are no bottled products on the market that can actually feed it.

Those filter feeder products IMO are waaaay too easy overfeed, and few tank actually benefit from them. I think you would be much better off just using one capful every 3 or 4 days.

What else do you have in the tank coral wise?

Yeah my lights are pretty powerful, definatly do the trick, the guy at the shop just told me i should feed it. if i don't need too i wont. I have a xen a big frogspawn zoa's and a kenyatree and a few aiptia or w.e. i gotta bomb this weekend

Yeah, he was trying to make a few bucks off of you...you don't need that stuff, and as you can see, it messes up your water pretty quick. If you do want to continue using it, do what lil fish suggested and dose every few days. For now, try diluting it with water changes.

Back