First Aquarium Project

yep! You also cant put him in full saltwater, he need to be slowly acclimated over a few months/weeks

Very good to know. Could I do that in my smaller tank while I am cycling the larger one? Also, when I get him acclimated to salt will he be fine with other saltwater fish? I know he's aggressive so I'm planning on putting aggressive types in there with him, but I kind of want tropical fish, if thats the right term:)

Last edited:
Yep, you can acclimate him in the small tank. Just top the tank off with saltwater a few days a week. Over time, the salt will accumulate and its a very gentle, easy method of acclimating him. And yes, he can go in with other fish :)

Just a tip, i added my sand in first. Put a plastic garbage bag over top of it completley then poured the pre-mixed water onto it. Avoided a huge sandstorm was instantly clear after i slowley removed the garbage bag. When i added my rock i made sure it was pushed down to the glass. Like Erin said, that is key.
Good luck!

Yep, you can acclimate him in the small tank. Just top the tank off with saltwater a few days a week. Over time, the salt will accumulate and its a very gentle, easy method of acclimating him. And yes, he can go in with other fish :)

So, if I add him in a system with coral will he eat the coral or something? What about tropical plants. I don't know the names of them I was thinking about in the future having the bright colored plants.

ya, you could try come of the calcifying algae, he might leave that alone. And you can try different frags, he might not go after all types of corals.

As for your water, you can get distilled water from Walmart. If you use tap, you run the risk of having lots of algae problems and constant high nitrates (making it also hard to keep inverts, who are sensitive to high nitrates). Everyone's got you covered :)

So I have ordered some rocks and sand and they will be here in a few days I hope. Right now I am trying to figure out what I want to do. I feel I have learned alot but I still know nothing:)
I have some glass covers I got for the top of the aquarium. I bought these because I ahve read and been told that puffer like to jump. Also, they cut down on evaporation. They have cutaway setions to allow for equipment. What are your thoughts on these?

Also, I am starting to learn what is "coral" and what is not:)
What I would like in my tank is fish and other creatures like urchines and things that look like this( in the long term) :
onlinecerianthid.JPG

I know i sound like a noobie here, but I really am. This is not considered a "coral" right? It's a invertebrate I think.

Last edited:
Urchins arent coral, but they are lunch for puffers, same with crabs, snails and shrimp.

Also get rid of the glass top, they cut down on gas exchange and hold in heat. Ive never heard of a puffer jumping, but all fish have the potential to do so. If you want some sort a lid, make a mesh lid that wont restrict gas flow. There are lots of DIY threads on how to do so in the DIY section. And evaporation is just a part of keeping a reef tank

Urchins arent coral, but they are lunch for puffers, same with crabs, snails and shrimp.

Also get rid of the glass top, they cut down on gas exchange and hold in heat. Ive never heard of a puffer jumping, but all fish have the potential to do so. If you want some sort a lid, make a mesh lid that wont restrict gas flow. There are lots of DIY threads on how to do so in the DIY section. And evaporation is just a part of keeping a reef tank

It really seems that everything I ahve done in this venture so far has been wrong.

If I was to stay with the puffer, what would would you build? What can go in there is nice to look at and colorful?

Are the fish you listed before ok to be put in with my green spotted puffer? I want to include him in this tank if I can.
In building a FOWLR in a 50 gallon tank, what kind of water flow do i need? is one power head with a 50 gallon capacity ok?

What about power filters? Is the natural filtering with live rock and water movement the same with a non-reef system?

Last edited:
awesome. So I shouldn't need a external filter? The life rock and two power heads is good for the FOWLR tank?
I have around 30 punds of rock and I add 1-2 pounds fo live rock, will it seed the live rock during the nitrogen cycle time?

Yes it will, but you should have at least 50 lbs of live rock, preferably more because those fish are really messy, dirty fish and you will want lots of filtration.

Update: Last night I went ahead and ordered 2 Koralia Evolution Aquarium Pumps that will move 750 gallons per hour each. Combined it will move the water in my tank 27 times per hour.

Is it hard or bad for the tank to add rock as the population grows? For example, if I start my 55 gallon tank with 1 fish and then add another fish a month after, is it a shock to the tank to add more live rock?

Also, how long does it take for live rock to seed non-live rock? Will this happen in the cycle time frame?
Sorry for the question blitz but the more answers I get, the more questions I have:)

Back