First Aquarium Project

Hmm, I'll think I'll try that. Is that something they can eat even as they get bigger for a vegtiable? I read it is good to give them a balanced type diet, sometimes mixing in veggies.

the peas are just for fun, the real veggies for them would be seaweed. But the puffer is a carnivore, eating snails and other hardshelled critters, and wouldnt naturally eat greens.

Well, my gps has died. i am curtain because I was unable to provide him a proper tank in time. I was not prepared to have a gps fish nut I have alot of lessons. My tank will be ready completely before I even think about buying another fish.

Im sorry to hear this, but I think he died because you raise the salinity level too fast and probably too high. This should have been done over the course of several months.

However, i think this might be better for you in the long run.

So, with a partial new beginning, I have a new question. I have decided to not go with any kind of puffer fish for the time being. I am going to get easy beginner type fish to start.
I was watching a youtube.com video on aquariums and the man mentioned a "cleaning crew". I looked it up and it seems interesting, now that my puffer won't eat them. Does anyone have any recomondations for a well balance asortment?

Last edited:
I would go to reefcleaners.org and check out what they have to offer. You can get one of the premade packages or design your own. I also think you get a discount for being a member on here.

And a pair of clowns are always a good choice, lots of personality and very hardy.

I looked a that website and it's pretty good. Thank you! When the time gets closer, I am going to order from them.

I started the cycle process yesterday. I premixed the saltwater in a clean plastic cooler 15 gallons at a time with a reading of 1.025 each time using my two blowers to mix. After adding around 48 gallons, I stopped because tonight I am going to add more live rock to the tank, which should top the tank volume off. I then added 3 fresh, uncooked shrimp to the tank to begin the cycle process.

My testing kit will arrive tomorrow so I will start testing the water.

I have a couple of questions now:

• When the cycle process is complete, will I need to go in and remove the remains of the shrimp or should they completely decay? Will the cleaning crew take care of them after I add them?
  • Does cycling a tank help create live rock? Another words, will my "dead" rock become live rock faster?

I would go to reefcleaners.org and check out what they have to offer. You can get one of the premade packages or design your own. I also think you get a discount for being a member on here.

And a pair of clowns are always a good choice, lots of personality and very hardy.

John never once gave me a discount for being a member here :(

Yes, I noticed on the website that this forum is not in the list of "discount" partners. Just FYI:)

actually i just talked to my friend Jack ("fire" on here) the code is livingreef but you get not much off for savings the 5% thats always there is better than what you save.

Update: Last night I received my API Salt Water Testing Kit. I have created a spreadsheet in Excel that I enter all my readings. It also graphs each of the readings so I can visually track them. In the spreadsheet I am keeping a daily log with anything I do to the aquarium like adding rocks, water changes, additions, or cleaning. It's been pretty fun so far.

My pH was right where it should be. Ammonia was already rising. Nitrites and Nitrates are both at 0 still, but it's only been 3 days:)

In the tank, I have 2 shrimp decaying with about 4 pounds of live rock. I am hoping for it to seed the other dead rock.

Just getting in this thread. Sounds like you leaped before you looked but have recovered extremely well!

The excel spreadsheet is exactly what I did. However, I did not spike my tank with shrimp or, heaven forbid, live fish to jump start the cycle. I used cured LR plus dry rock and a medium depth sand bed in mine. Mine "soft" cycled. In other words, I did not get a giant Ammonia spike. It only got up to around .25 ppm and dropped to 0 within 2 days. I was lucky. This does NOT happen very often from what I have been able to gather.

Maybe I missed it, but are you going to run a sump? I added a filter sock to mine to remove stuff I didn't like seeing. (After learning about Cyano!) It really isn't needed with a skimmer, But everyone does theirs a little differently.

I didn't see it mentioned, but do not do a water change while the tank is in cycle. The Cycle can take up to 8 weeks. Some times longer. Some times shorter. Test, test, test! Once you THINK the cycle is over, take a sample of your water to TWO LFS's and have them test it. IF either, or both, use test strips to tell you, never, ever step foot into that store again!

Good luck. I'm still new to this world. I have learned a LOT over the past year and still have the ability to remember the questions and issues that come from being a stone cold noob!

Yes, if it wasn't for this forum I would have been lost and wasted a lot of time and money. I did jump in way over my head, but listening to people and reading a lot help me get back on track. (i hope)

Right now, I have about 4-5 pounds live rock (which is really expensive), about 35 pounds of dead rock,and two blowers with enough GPH movement to move my tank 25 to 30 times per hour. This tank will be a FOWLR tank as it is my first one, but I am wanting to take as many steps as I can and can afford to get ready for a reef tank in the long term. Right now thee is nothing living in my tank, other than a small plankton sized cridder which came off the live rock. In the long term I will be getting some other equipment, but right now it is a budget limitation.

I am going to offer up some advice.

In the future, when you have a problem, and you WILL have a problem be it live stock, algae illness or equipment, take a minimalist route towards fixing it. The natural tendency is to find and fix everything that is and could be wrong. 95% of the time this simply makes the existing issue worse AND creates more problems. Take a hands off tack and you will be better off.

Starting off with a FOWLR tank in mind is great, but plan for a full blown reef. Buy the best you can afford on you budget and don't double buy. If you buy a light for a FOWLR, spend the money and get one that can be used or upgraded for use on a reef tank. You will save money in the long run.

Buy quality. Yes, I understand you are on a budget. Cheap in cost does not mean it has to be cheap in quality. There are lots of cheap options out there. Don't be scared to buy used. Lots of times folks will run into issues they can't solve and will simply drop the hobby. They will sell GOOD stuff off at pennies on the dollar. Keep your eyes open for deals!

Lastly, don't take what you read here, RC, in a magazine or in a book as gospel. LOTS.... LOTS of advise is nothing more than hear say. Take it all with a grain of salt. Don't discount it, just make sure your understand where it is coming from.

I agree with you, Nonfamous. If I have learned anything in the three weeks this project has been going on, I have learn to be patient. Nature knows how to take care of things better than I do that's for sure.

I was thinking about the concepts of a protein skimmer and a refugium. I looked online a lot and figure I have the skill to build a good protein skimmer, but I am looking for a good set of instructions to follow.
Also, what is a refugium? lol I saw that it's a type of natural filtering, but does one built a protein skimmer or a refugium? Or does one build both? Whats everyone's thoughts? I am thinking about these things now because my tank is just starting cycling and I want to be prepared when it's finished:)

If this is addressed in another thread, please link me to it. I'm not real good at finding topics.

I have successfully build a duel self priming overflow siphon that leads to a custom sump I build. The sump is 18 gallons for now and will feed my protein skimmer the dirty water:)
The siphons are build from nothing but PVC pipe from Home Depot and each cost about 5 dollars. The disign is simple and is the same concept that is in a common toilet. As long as the pipe stays primed the water will always flow. I have built a duel system in case of a lsot of prime in one of the siphons. Better safe than sorry. Each siphon can handle the water shed and maintains my water level perfectly.
I jsut performed and simulated power outage! My wife thinks I am crazy right about now. (all I did was unplug the power cord to the sump pum)
Both sumps kicked right in and started pumping as soon as the water level returned to the overflow level I set:) I LOVE SCIENCE!

Nitrite levels are on the rise and Amonia is still peaked out. Come on Nitrates! :)
I am going to start the tank of with a limited CUC but I am not seeing any gree stuff growing in there. The two shrimp I am cycling with are nealry all gone though. Right now the water is crystal clear and smells like the ocean(salty that is) :)

Last edited:
Back