First aquirium and first fish:)

Hello everyone,
My name is Hank and this is my first saltwater tank. Right now I have a Green Spotted Puffer fish that I bought at Walmart. Upon getting it home, I read online that my tank was too small. So, I got a 50 gallon tank to house him and maybe some others types. I am very excited about building this fish tank.

Hi and welcome!
You are planning to start a saltwater tank? Do you know what the puffer was kept in at the store?
Most stores keep them in freshwater. So you cannot dump them right into a saltwater tank.
They thrive in brakish (slightly salty) conditions. A lot of people do a species only brakish tank for them. I had one for a while before I sold the set up.
Some people do have luck keeping them in marine conditions, they have to be acclimated to this slowly over weeks. They are an aggressive fish so I wouldn't put any small or nonaggressive fish in there. Maybe a clown and a dwarf angel?
Also, I think it's awesome you researched and realized they need a bigger tank and you got him a nice big house. :) I love GSPs

I am planning a saltwater sooner or later. At WalMart he was in fresh water. I have him in a small slightly salty tank now. After buying him, I have figured out they are alot of work, but it should fun. Right now I have the water and sand in the tank and am letting the sand settle. While that's going on, I'm getting the other stuff I need like testers and stuff.

Back