First causality maybe

Pilotkev55

Reefing newb
I may have had a peppermint shrimp die. I rearranged my rock to a more suitable arrangement . I was careful not to harm anything I think. I noticed today what looks like a body or a molt. I'm not sure yet. I can only find one shrimp running around as of yet, but there are plenty of places the shrimp might be that I can't see.

Do shrimp molts also contain legs? And is there a small amount of color red left with the molt or is that pretty much gone? It's in a hard to get to area of the tank of course. I guess time will tell. I will continue to observe to see ifi can get a glimpse of two shrimp or something. Water is in good shape, no temp fluctuations and I did a partial water change last night as well.:grumble:

Last edited:
Yup....that's what it sounds like to me....I had a couple of red skunk shrimps that used to seemingly take turns molting....sometimes there would be 2 molts in the tank at once....

Yeah I'm not convinced yet, I can't find the other shrimp anywhere . I looked online and found a photo of what was a molt from a shrimp. This looks like a full shrimp. It's still in the tank but no hermit crabs are messing with it. I hope it's a molt though.

Before I left for work here, I did a water test. Everything is good. From what I can tell. Maybe if he did die it was just his time. I have not seen anything else go after him. All I have is three turbo snails , a small clown fish, and about 15 hermit crabs of varying types. I don't know if anything went after him. The corpse looks pretty much intact nothing missing but it's hard to tell being the fact of its it's location in the tank

Sounds like molt. No worries. It does look like a shrimp body, lots of color, legs. A lot of us have peppermints and never see them. If you want a shrimp you see all the time, you should get a skunk shrimp.

I got home this morning from work , the shrimp molt or body is gone. I'll just keep observing to see if he shows up sometime. I have seen the other one alive and well already this morning.

I have 6 peppermint shrimp in my 55. Don't worry, you get use to seeing what looks like their corpses. They are just molts usually, even if it looks like a full body. Hidden behind, underneath, or between rocks is the one who molted. It's not abnormal to not see them for days after a molt. So, don't get too worked up yet. Now, if you see what looks like a molt stuck to a powerhead, yeah, that's a different story. That's how I lost one of my Skunks when I had my 10g nano set up :frustrat:

You are lucky! My Skunk got curious, and found out the hard way that a power head isn't shrimp friendly! It sucks, I watched it happen. I just figured he was trying to pick stuff off it. It was quick, pulled it in and bits and pieces of it just started getting sent around the tank :(

Back