First collection!

saltybeard

Reefing newb
Hi all! So my first tank is proving time consuming and well worth it!

Just wanted to explain what I currently have in the tank, and get advice on feeding and any other insight you see fit to impart.

My intent was to create a natural atlantic ocean, florida tank. Well, the girlfriend and I got antsy due to weather not cooperating, therefore we've got a mix of store bought and wild caught!

I have done everything in my power to research compatibility and thus far, everyone gets along.

Here is the list, I will place WC for wild caught

1 Strawberry dottyback
2 Blue/Green Chromis.. first introduced for cycling
2 Sexy Shrimp
1 Scooter Blenny
HItchhikers seen - 3-4 micro bristle stars, 1, one inch bristle worm

1 Molly Miller Blenny WC
1 Juvenile grey angelfish WC
5 flamingo tongue snail WC
5-8 small (dime size or smaller) blue leg hermits WC
3 sea urchin WC
1 long spine sea urchin WC
1 ocellate swimming crab, half dollar size WC

That is the essential list, thank you for your feedback!

Well, I guess I'll continue posting and updating...

I do believe mr. crab had a sexy meal of two sexy shrimp last night... so he has officially been sent back to the ocean.

Would love to hear some insight into feeding habits and types of food for my inhabitants...

currently I am feeding mysis shrimp twice a day.

Thanks!

I'm glad you're using a sustainable catching method. However, I will offer some advice.

First, I would keep an eye on your blennies. They can fight if they don't have enough space and territories. Second, that angel can grow to 20"; way too large for a 30 gallon tank. And lastly, please don't release specimens back into the wild. They can take with them a plethora of diseases not known in the wild, even if your collection period was short. The best way to do that would be a very controlled study.

Thanks kbuser92, appreciate the advice. I was told by a local shop that blennies with different mouth structures and therefore differing feeding methods should be ok in the same tank. Truth to this? So far this seems true with the two I've got, but I will definitely keep an eye out.

Did not realize that releasing back into the wild was an issue, much appreciate that input, definitely won't be doing that again.

I did realize the angel grows that large, any idea how quickly they grow? He is quite small at the moment, no more than 1/2" in length. Also, is there a market for these once he gets too large? Would hope to find him a new home.

Thanks again

Like I said, the blennies may or may not fight. I've never heard that mouth structure thing before, but it sounds plausible. However, if an LFS told you that, take it with a grain of salt. They're in the business to make money, and to some that means false information and selling incompatible stock to you knowing you will come back for more.

I have no idea the time frame for that angel to grow to that size, but I would guess within 6-12 months, hell definitely be outgrowing your tank.

Back