First coral went in yesterday

jdhettema

Reefing newb
Hey everyone! I am totally new to salt water tanks but I didnt want to write "noobie" on there since everyone else did. I have been cycling my tank now for 1 month with a peppermint shrimp and a cleaning crew and yesterday I tested my water at my LFS and it was ready!

I decided to go with a purple star polyp coral. I got a pretty big chunk of one on a rock for $50. I keep watching it to make sure the shrimp and snails don't eat it (I heard they do that). Anyways, I would love any feedback anyone can give me and suggestions for future purchases. My desire is to go slow because I heard that bioload is a big deal for a tank.

Oh, I forgot my tank specs. I have a 12g JBJ Nanocube. My friend hooked me up with a 5lb live rock which cycled for a few weeks. I then got the cleaning crew (4 snails and 4 hermit crabs) and the peppermint shrimp. I currently don't feed any of them. It is small, I know... but I figure if I can learn how to keep a healthy environment with a small tank, then I can graduate someday.

My goals are to build a nice tank with 1-2 fish (My wife wants a clown) and some cool corals... but I want to do it cheaply. I don't have very much of a budget to work with.

Thanks to everyone for the great info I have already heard. If anyone can help with their thoughts I would greatly appreciate it.

-- JD

Hello and welcome to the site...glad to have you aboard. The shrimp shouldn't bother the corals. A pair of clownfish will be perfect for that size tank. There are numerous soft corals(inexpensive) you can put in the tank that will do well for you.

Back