First Fish Added Tonite...Got a Question

ReefyCane

SuperNewbie
Hi All,

So I bought my first two fish tonite: a diamond goby and a six-line wrasse. I also bought a Peppermint Shrimp. I drip acclimated them and then after about three hours introduced them into the system. I haven't seen the wrasse since and the diamond goby is in one of my live rock caverns. Is it normal for these guys to kind of hide to start with?

Thanks as always.

~RC

Congrats Reefy!!!! It's cool, most things hide for a few days- I've got a couple of things I dropped in the tank that I still only see once in a while- like Bigfoot sightings. Give em a couple of days, I know it's not much fun to look at now but it'll get better

My CBB stayed behind the rocks for a whole month.I saw my mandrine for the first time in 2 months last night.
So,yeah,I reckon its normal for the animals we spend so much time and money on to disappear.

yup. also, don't expect them to eat for about a week or so. that is normal as well. it is a risky hobby, that is for sure.

-Doc

Yeah, totally normal. It took about a month and a half for me to see my mandarin for the first time after I bought her. Certain fish aren't shy at all, but some species (like gobies and wrasses) can be more timid when first introduced. Give them time to adjust to their new home. Congrats, and post pics when they come out!

Congrats on your first fish. Like others said they'll be shy at first. Once they adjust you'll see them more often. It took my wrasse a couple days before he decided to show himself and eat. Keep us updated and waiting for pics.

So I got some brine shrimp to feed my little guys and was wondering how much of the cube to give them? I was thinking maybe half a cube a day??

Thanks,
~RC

best to feed conservatively at first. feed every other day, and see how your parameters hold out. They don't need as much food as we think to survive and it will effect your bioload. I feed a hungry 6 inch tang, 2 firefish, a royal gramma and a pig of an anthia one cube a day. Good luck.

-Doc

I take out my insecurities on my fish. I can't help it. Every night, at feeding time, when I give them their rations, I yell at them, "YOU WILL NOT HAVE CHUBBY THIGHS! YOU WILL NOT HAVE A JIGGLY BUTT! YOU WILL NOT HAVE FLABBY ARMS! YOU WILL NOT HAVE A SOFT TUMMY!". Then they each eat their one piece of mysis and go cry themselves to sleep.

Last edited:
I wonder if fish can die from heart disease?(one of those things that make you go hmmm)

I feed 3-4 cubes 2-3 times a day for my magnificent collection of anthias.My gorgeous tangs get also seaweed sheets three times a week.Boy did I sound like someone I know.

Congrats !!! God Luck With Them And Watch Out For The Diamond Goby For The First Couple Nights. Mine Got Airbourne For The First 2 Nights , I Put An Eggcrate On Top Until He Got Cossy !!! Good Luck Again !

Back