First Fish... Ever!

A pretty bad choice :( They are extremely hardy, so in that respect they make great first fish. However, they are also some of the most aggressive fish you can put in your tank, and will likely kill (or at least try to kill) any other fish you try to add to the tank later on. They will also kill inverts that they believe have invaded their territory.

You should pick something less aggressive :)

Wow, the website I went to said it was the only damselfish that really let everything else be other than other damselfish.

Ok, well how about a pair of Perculas or False Perculas?

A pair of clowns could be great. A lot of people start with clowns as their first fish. They can be aggressive too sometimes, but much less so than other damsels.

Royal grammas are cool fish! I have one in one of my tanks. They will probably get along with other fish just fine. Sometimes they can be aggressive, but overall they are usually okay.

I have a pair of clowns that are very cool to watch. They're also fun because they 'connect' with their caregivers. I have a royal gramma that I enjoy too....very pretty....but he doesn't come over to see me when I'm standing at the tank or feeding. Not the same kind of connection...JMO.

Dcantucson:
I don't have a tank yet :P I'm just in the research stage. I am assuming I'm going to get a 65-95 gal and start it out as a FOWLR, and then move to soft coral and eventually hard.

My first fish were 2 clowns :) They're awesome. U4BOYS is right about them connecting with you...mine would always swim right to the surface where I'm at (usually because they think I have food), but they snatch food right off the chopstick I use to put food in.

Yup had clowns as my first fish.

The most important thing about this hobby is Patience. You dont want to rush things, it will make it worse. Do a lot of research and know what you are doing/getting before you purchase it.

Back