First Fish Missing

jamesd523

Reefing newb
I just bought my first fish for a freshly cycled tank yesterday. 3 blue/green chromis. I let them acclimate, then released them into the tank. Immediately, all three hid behind the rocks (normal...), but when they decided to come out around 30 minutes later, only two came out. There is nothing in my tank, aside from live rock and a few critters that came with it, that I think could get the third fish. I tried moving around a couple rocks to get a better look, but it seems to have completely disappeared. Is this normal? I can't seem to figure this one out... :question:

Thanks!

Give it a few days to get used to its new home. It can take some fish several weeks before they'll come out. It's not unusual. It will probably start coming out at feeding time.

Keep in mind that adding 3 fish at once may trigger another cycle. It's usually recommended to add one fish at a time for a new tank.

Yep, tight fitting lid. I don't think it's that... I'm hoping that it's just hiding.

The LFS suggested that I get all three at once because they natually school. Bad advice? Also, she told me to wait a week or two, then to come back for a pair of clowns.

Look at the other two Chromis as possible culprits.It really takes way more than three for them to schoal.I read many stories of small numbers of Chromis will finish each other until there are only two.Its usually less likely to happen when they are in the presence of other fish,especially ones that are bigger than them.Think about it,fish school for protection.No threat=fighting with each other.

I'm not saying this has happen but the possibility is there.

Definitely wait more than a week or two before adding two more fish. In a newly cycled tank you don't have the bacterial population high enough to handle the addition of more than one or two small fish at a time. I recommend adding one first fish to start, then one or two more three to four weeks later. If you see your parameters spike you'll know you added more than your system can handle. Luckily, chromis are very hardy fish and will probably survive any ammonia or nitrite spikes that may occur.

Chromis do naturally school, and they do best in odd numbers. Three is sometimes okay, but five or more is best.

Give it a few days it could be hiding. It's normal for fish to hide in a new surrounding. Keep a eye on your parameters.

Remeber rule of thumb one inch of fish per five gallons! Id enjoy your fish then add your clowns in a month; there not going extinct any time soon! good luck with your new tank

Update...

I found the missing fish... unfortunately, she didn't make it. :sad:

Now I need to find a way to get it out from under the rocks... blah.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Yep, tight fitting lid. I don't think it's that... I'm hoping that it's just hiding.

The LFS suggested that I get all three at once because they natually school. Bad advice? Also, she told me to wait a week or two, then to come back for a pair of clowns.

hey man just becuz ur LFS suggest some thing its not alway bright to take it it not like there tring to screw becuz that would hurt ur bisness there right.wat there doing is suggesting things to make u buy them so they can make money off you. remerber your running ur fish tank and ur LFS is trying to conduct a bisness i made this mistake but with equipment lol

Sorry to hear about your loss. Before buying any more fish, I'd wait a few weeks and make sure the remaining chromis are healthy and thriving.

Nassarius snails make good scavengers and sand stirrers.If your parameters are stable then getting some to eat anything that dies including the Chromis will save you some work....not to mention keeping those dead bodies and leftover food from decaying.

With the right clean up crew, a fish will die at night and the next day be nothing but bones. Happened to one of my fish that decided to starve itself. Saw it swimming one night next morning, just saw some bones in the corner flesh all gone.

Brian

Back