First Fish

clancaster23

Reefing newb
Going from my future stocking list, what would you choose as a first fish (or group of fish) to add to a new tank?

This list is just a premilinary list. I probably won't have everything in the list in the tank in the end. They are basically what I like from each species and would like to have.

Tangs
-----
(Zebrasoma)
Sailfin (1' 3")

(Naso)
Blonde Naso (1' 6")

(Acanthurus)
White Cheek (8")

(Ctenochaetus)
Orange Stripe Bristletooth

Wrasse
---------
Not sure, too many to pick from

Anthias (Group)
-------
Lyretail (5") 3-5 of these

Blennies
--------
Midas (6")
One Spot (4")
Algae/Sailfin (5")

Butterfly
---------
Copperband (8") (Well established)

Cardinal
--------
Spotted (3 1/2") (School)

Clown
-----
Percula x2 (3")

Goby
----
Bluespotted Watchman (5 1/2")
Orange Spotted (3")
Orange Stripe Prawn (4 1/2")
Wheeler's Shrimp (3")

Rabbitfish
----------
Magnificent (9")

How big will this tank be? And if it were me I would probably add that clowns first. Very hardy fish, not too aggressive. And then after that maybe the goby then the cardinals.

That's a lot of gobies and blennies. Anthias also need frequent feedings and produce a lot of waste. Water quality could suffer. I think everything else should be fine as long as you go slow and pick one of each goby and blenny.

Kyle brings out a good point on feedings and water quality for the anthias. The anthias won't produce near the waste the tangs will. I feed my trio of Lyretails twice a day but it is the same amount I would use if I were only feeding once. I did have to change up my maintenance a bit but they are beautiful fish.
I also agree that you may have some territory issues with the multiple blennies and gobies but you may be able to avert it because of the size of your tank.

I tell you something that I think is cool and that is a trio of Zebrasoma like a yellow, purple and sailfin. I have a friend that has had a trio for 5+ years and they actually school more than my anthias. Just a thought;)
That is going to be an awesome tank:thumbsup:

I didn't plan on putting all four gobies and all three blennies in the same tank. Those are just the ones on the top of my list to have. I'd probably just stick to one and one to avoid any issues.

I'm anxious to get a tang in there but I know there should be an order in which you should introduce fish and I want to do it right.

I edited my list to include temperament and at least for the moment, chose one blenny and goby. It's all going by Live Aquaria's description.

Tangs
-----
(Zebrasoma)
Sailfin (1' 3") (Semi-aggressive)

(Naso)
Blonde Naso (1' 6") (Semi-aggressive)

(Acanthurus)
White Cheek (8") (Semi-aggressive)

(Ctenochaetus)
Orange Stripe Bristletooth (10") (Semi-aggressive)

Wrasse
---------
Whip Fin Fairy Wrasse (3 1/2") (Peaceful)

Anthias (Group)
-------
Lyretail (5") 3-5 of these (Semi-aggressive)

Blennies
--------
Algae/Sailfin (5") (Peaceful)

Butterfly
---------
Copperband (8") (Well established) (Peaceful)

Cardinal
--------
Spotted (3 1/2") (School) (Peaceful)

Clown
-----
Percula x2 (3") (Semi-aggressive)

Goby
----
Orange Stripe Prawn (4 1/2") (Peaceful)

Rabbitfish
----------
Magnificent (9") (Peaceful)

So if I'm going to want to stock some peaceful fish to start, looks like it'll be the wrasse, cardinals, blenny or the goby first. Don't want to do the foxface first and butterfly will be near the end. I want to start with a tang but maybe I'll put a couple of the more peaceful types in before I do that. Maybe Cardinals, blenny, wrasse and then maybe introduce my first tang?

Back