First ICK battle

mojuave

Reefing newb
ok so bought a blue hippo tang from petco(first fish from petco since start-up was on sale) it came with ICK I assume. Well wasn't long and my long time clarkie clown ended up a gonner and thats when i saw the ICK. I have been treating with Kordon ICK Attack and have odd results. It does seem the ICK is under control BUT have a few oddities.

1.) Blue Hippo seems to be loosing its pigment and turning grey (still eats and seam happy) note: he is young about 3 inches long tip to tail

2.) tomato clown seems to have brown spotting and smears in its pigment

3.) I dont really know what they are but the 2 corals not doing well and a 3 (no pic, was taken to a neighbors tank, but its bright orange and creates its own rock puffs up in day and tenticles come out at night)

Sorry I dont know the names of everything I guess I need to create a list to keep

any help or advice her

Attachments

• IMG_20131104_070426.jpg
    IMG_20131104_070426.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 278
  • IMG_20131104_065926.jpg
    IMG_20131104_065926.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 290
  • IMG_20131104_065902.jpg
    IMG_20131104_065902.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 306
  • IMG_20131104_065647.jpg
    IMG_20131104_065647.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 295
  • IMG_20131104_065634.jpg
    IMG_20131104_065634.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 295
How big is your tank? You shouldn't use any chemicals in your DT. You should have used a QT to treat your fish instead.

Is that bottle a copper based medication?

I am going throught the same process with a couple of my fish that had ich (ocellaris &firefish). I'm into the 2nd month of treatment. I used both hyposalinity and Kordon Ich Attack but in a seperate QT the 1st month. For this last month I'm treating them with just hyposalinity. They are doing just fine right now. I've heard mixed reviews on Kordon Ich so I don't really know if it worked or if the hyposalinity alone did the job just fine. However, I don't see anymore white spots on either fish.
If I have to do it all over again I would just do hypo treatment without the Kordon only because I'm not 100 % sure if it helped. You should look up the forum "fish disease" in this site. There are a couple of great articles on treating marine Ich.

agree, no ich treatment should be done in your display tank but Kordon says it's 100% natural but who knows if that is true

what are your parameters? ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, phosphate, calcium, Alkalinity and such

what kind of lighting do you have and how big is the tank

i do hyposalinity and run a ultraviolet sterilizer at the same time. have to be careful the sterilizer does'nt overheat the tank though. i run a 37 watt on a 25 gal qt. i am just about ready to start increasing the salt in the tank. i tryed ick attack in my qt before and lost my fish. not using that stuff again. ick attack is a herbal remedy. i did some research on it and can't seem to find anything on how it kills the ick parasite

Last edited:
op - that looks more like marine velvet than ich. Its pretty advanced (if that's the case). You need to treat with a copper based medicine like cupramine IN a QT tank (all fish) ASAP or they are goners in a few days. It actually looks like the hippo tang has a secondary bacterial infection too. Don't put copper in your display tank - it will kill all your corals/inverts.

Kordon is useless even for ich (imo).

Back