First Reef Tank (40g)

DeanG13

Optometrist Reefer
Now that my freshwater tank is in good order, I have embarked on a saltwater reef tank extravaganza! Here is my gear so far:

45 Gallon Tank 36" X 18" X 12"
Cascade 700 Filter
1300 gph power head
A moderate amount of hard rock.

Tank inhabitants:

Medium sized Clown
African Leopard Wrasse
2 snails, 1 hermit crab

The Wrasse is the newest addition and he has yet to emerge for beneath the sand. I hope he doesn't starve, I've been feeding the Clown brine shrimp and the Wrasse is no where to be found. It has been 2 days...

Anyway, just thought I'd log my tank details on here since I've been reading about other people's tanks and have become inspired! Any thoughts or comments are appreciated!

-Dean-o

Last edited:
Re: First Reef Tank

Some pics.

Attachments

• IMG_0315.jpg
    IMG_0315.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 7,839
  • IMG_0319.jpg
    IMG_0319.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 10,571
Looks good man.

Also I'm sure the Wrasse will come out, just give it some time. Seeing as its the newest addition he probably just needs time to adapt.

You got a good start Dean.
Just give the wrasse a few days to settle in.He'll eventually come oput to play.

Yup, looking to add corals in a few weeks. Started adding nutrients yesterday in order to prep. I also have a protein skimmer I've been holding off on installing. Any suggestions on when is an appropriate time to hook it up? I've been told that there's no need for it now and that I should wait until 4-6 weeks out.

Go ahead and get the skimmer hooked up and running.Its got to break in anyhow,so ne need to wait until you need it to start it.

I was told at the fish store to use a capful of these two solutions a day apart, once a week until my tank had the proper nutrition for coral:

1) Microbe Lift All In One Master Supplement (pink label)
2) Microbe Lift Complete (clown fish on label)

I can tell you are a freshwater guy first. :)

How long has this tank been running?
What kind of lighting?
Are you testing for PH, Ammonia, Nitrites, and Nitrates? If not, you should be. Make sure that tank is fully cycled before adding fish and corals. And then take it slowwwww. Patience is key in this hobby.
Biff is right, no need to really be adding any nutrients to a new tank.
You're going to want a lot more cuc (clean up crew) besides those 2 snails and 1 hermit. Your tank could probably use up to 50 small blue legged hermits, a handful of nassarius snails, cerith snails, a couple turbo snails, a cleaner shrimp, a brittle star.

Don't be surprised if you make some changes to your setup after hanging out here a while. :D

You've got questions (well, really I've got questions) I've got answers

-Tank has been running for a month.
-Lighting: Coralife Actinic T5 39W, Coralife 10,000K T5 39W
-Yes, I've been testing my pH, it's at 8.3; Ammonia/Nitrates/Nitrates checked too; -Phosphates are at zero; currently raising Calcium (last checked at 400ppm); and cycle's been complete since last week.

I originally had two Damsels in there to help generate the cycle, and I replaced them with the Clown and then the Wrasse.

I know the lighting is a bit on the weak side. But my goal is to arrange the coral so that they rise up towards the lights while getting good flow from the power head.

As for the crabs and snails, definitely looking to add more. These guys were "donated" from my roomates long established reef tank, and really, who am I to turn down a crab?!

Thanks for the replies!

Been doing a whole lot of waiting recently. I stopped adding those nutrients to my tank and just allowed time to pass and things to settle.

I installed my protein skimmer, with a bit of a mod (the hideous clear tubing). Luckily most of the tubing/protein skimmer is out of view when looking into the tank from eye level.

I also added some moonlights finally so I took some more pictures for your enjoyment (who am I kidding, for my enjoyment).

Attachments

• IMG_0884.jpg
    IMG_0884.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 419
  • IMG_0879.jpg
    IMG_0879.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 430
  • IMG_0835.jpg
    IMG_0835.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 407
Looking good so far Dean.

I have to be honest though.I really don't believe you have enough light for any photosynthetic corals except maybe some mushrooms.

My Tang died this morning, suspect it was a parasite. To be honest, I shouldn't have gotten him due to the size restrictions of my tank (I was going to find him a new home once he got too big).

But on the brighter side, now we can play "WHAT FISH SHOULD DEAN GET NEXT???!!" Cue the game show music....

Here is an update on my current conditions

Specs:
40g reef tank, tank dimensions 36 x 18 x 12
Cascade 700 Canister Filter
Protein Skimmer
1300gph powerhead

Inhabitants:
Clown
Diamond Sand Sifting Goby
African Leopard Wrasse
Tons of turbo snails and blue hermits

Corals:
Several kinds of Zoas and a few Mushrooms (just started adding corals)

Parameters:
Nitrites- 0ppm
Ammonia- 0ppm
Nitrates- 5ppm
Calcium- 440ppm
Phosphate- 0ppm
pH- 8.3
Sp. Gravity- 1.023

So what do you guys think I should get next? The Clown and Goby are out all the time swimming around the tank, the Wrasse spends the majority of his time under sand, coming out when it's lunch time. I was leaning towards a Coral Beauty, but I'm in no rush and would like your input!

Thanks,

-Dean

Coral Beauties can nip at your corals. I had one for a little while, until it took a nice big chunk out of my candy cane. Bagged him up that day and took him back to the store. In a 40g, you have to be careful about fish size and overstocking. You might want to consider one of the more visible wrasses, like a flasher wrasse, or a fairy wrasse. Maybe you could add a small trio of anthias. These are all smaller, but colorful and active fish.

Back