First Rookie Mistake

racejunky24

Reefing newb
Bought a Dimond Goby just the other day. Guy that sold it to me said they loved to jump out of tanks. I have a cover and just one small opening for my hang on filter and find him on the carpet this morning :(. Guess I will need to get a small strip of net for that opening. I figured no way in heck he could jump through that. Just for anyone wanting to get one make sure all openings are sealed no matter how small. I feel so bad about it. He was an awesome fish to watch.
20131027_204422.jpg
RIP Hank

I wonder how many times he jumped and hit glass before making it through that hole? What other fish do you have? I have a Niger Trigger and my tank is covered by a hood all the way around. He jumped into the overflow and stay in there for a week. I didn't know he had so I assumed he had died in the night and the CUC carried him into the rocks to eat. A week after he went missing, I found him in the overflow, scared and hiding, thankfully still alive.
Anyways, I'm sorry for your loss but that is what this hobby is about - going forward and making mistakes but most importantly, LEARNING from them:)

I wonder how many times he jumped and hit glass before making it through that hole? What other fish do you have? I have a Niger Trigger and my tank is covered by a hood all the way around. He jumped into the overflow and stay in there for a week. I didn't know he had so I assumed he had died in the night and the CUC carried him into the rocks to eat. A week after he went missing, I found him in the overflow, scared and hiding, thankfully still alive.
Anyways, I'm sorry for your loss but that is what this hobby is about - going forward and making mistakes but most importantly, LEARNING from them:)

For the short time I had him I didn't see him jump at all. But I have a Clown, Six Line, and a Yellow Tail Damsel all are getting along great. But I deff learned from this! And will fix the small gap before I get another one. Glad you found yours tho. They must be good escape artists!

Yeah, in my tank I have three domino damsels which are demon fish in my opinion. LOL They chased him for about a month and he finally jumped. I finally had to remove them. My father had his trigger and other fish jump as well, also chased by damsels.

I have considered removing my yellow tail a lot. When I moved him from my old 10 gallon to my 30 gallon I had to tear that tank apart just to catch him. I can't get myself to remove him since he was my first fish and has hung around for 3 years. Grown attached to the guy hahaha. And I would prob have to distroy my 30 gallon trying to catch him again. He does kinda like to chase the clown around if he gets the urge to but that is seldom and he wont even look at the six line. But I have read everywhere about how bad any damsel fish is to start out with. I guess that was really my first rookie mistake lol.

I have a friend who used the frag rack material as a cover. He had a Six LIne Wrasse jump through one of the spaces. That is nuts. They will find a way. I go for small hole plastic screen. It has the added benefit of not messing with the lights either. They can shine right through it.

IMO does not qualify as a Rookie Mistake. Happen to anybody at any time. Murphy style. I have lost a few fresh water fish due to jumping. Always a tragedy.

Back