First Sea horse tank

joshuacohenjc

Reefing newb
i am setting up a 20 gallon seahorse tank a couple of feet away from my 75 gallon reef. is it worth it to connect the 2 tanks so that:
1) greater water volume
2) Only need to do water changes in one tank
3) i don't need a second filter, skimmer, heater, UV sterilizer
4) more stable paramètres

i would be connecting them by have one pump in the main tank bringing the water to the seahorse tank, and another pump (exact same one) in the seahorse tank brining the water back to the main tank. i don't trust the syphon method because if there is a power failure, i would be screwed

Seahorses need to be in cooler waters, like 70degF, so it wouldnt be a good idea to attach them to the reef tank, one set of creatures will suffer.

Another issue is the dimensions of the 20 gal, they really arent tall enough to keep seahorses. I think you are going to end up with gas bubble issues. If you can, i would try and get a 35 gal hex tank, they are much taller which is much better for seahorses.

And just be sure, make 100% sure you are buying captive breed seahorses. Wild caught ones are very hard to keep, and are often sold as tank raise in LFS. I would read this and buy from the two sources mentioned in the article:
https://www.livingreefs.com/seahorse-101-please-read-if-you-considering-seahorses-t33575.html

And just as an additional side note, even if you buy two of the exact same pump, one will always work a bit harder and the levels in the tank will eventually result in one flooding the other emptying

I must disagree with the temp for the tanks. i am going to be going to set up a 95gallon hex tank to my 150 gallion main. same tempo and salinity through each tank.
Seahorse.com - Seahorse, Sea Life, Marine Life, Aquafarm Sales, Feeds and Accessories - Getting Started
Temperature: Range 68F to 82F Optimum: 75
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0-10ppm
PH: 8.2- 8.4
Specific Gravity: Range: 1.022 - 1.026 Optimum: 1.0245
My leveles

Temperature: 79.5
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0 ppm
PH: 8.3
Specific Gravity: 1.025

true vary true i did 5 days of studying sea hourses and 2 days of the spesies i was going to get. now i have 2 mustangs that are happy helthy and i will be setting up my next sea horse tank with my main in my next build. but i am waiting to get all that tanks. but for my sea horse tank i want a 95 gallon hex tank.

well i have had vary nice sucsess with my sea horses. now as far as puting them in that main tank i dont think that would be a good idea. i would get a smaller tank and attatch the tank to your main just like you were sayin. having good flow in the tank is good but nothing too much. my sea horses are happy and helthy. i also feed them enriched brine and garlic mix. Big blue my Blue mustang seahorse will look at me while i work. I hope this helps you out.

Warmer temperatures *can* work for seahorses; that's the temperatures we find them living at in the wild. However, aquarists over the years have had a lot of trouble with bacteria, and the single easiest way to help prevent those issues has been to keep seahorses at lower temperatures. Seahorses seem particularly prone to bacterial infections in aquariums.

The reason for that is not well understood, but it is thought to be because they don't have gut-associated lymphoid tissue. It's missing because seahorses lack a true stomach. Gut-associated lymphoid tissue is found in most vertebrates but is curiously missing in seahorses. The implication is that they don't encounter a lot of pathogens in the wild, but they do in a crowded, organic rich aquarium. Thus, an easy place for bacteria to proliferate, especially at warmer temperatures.

Cooler temperatures are a safe guard against that. There may be times and places to experiment with warmer temperatures, but the first seahorse aquarium is not the place. I would never recommend temperatures above 74 for anyone but the most experienced seahorse keepers.

Matt, if you feel comfortable setting up your aquarium that way, then go for it. However, I would refrain from making recommendations about systems and fish you have no experience with. It's a recipe for disaster with anything; not just seahorses.

In general though, hooking a seahorse tank up to another tank is usually not a great idea - the big one being seahorses are just waste producing machines and will likely foul your reef tank in a way that is unacceptable.

Ocean Rider recommends higher temperatures because it works for *them*. A few years ago they were selling temperate seahorses as tropical because they didn't have any problems. They didn't have any problems because they had huge flow through systems connected to the ocean, which is one of the ways you can keep organics and bacteria at a minimal level. Unfortunately, the home aquarist does not and all those temperate seahorses were struck with bacterial infections such as tail rot, and most, if not all aquarists lost them. Those that didn't came later, realized the problem and got a chiller. Oh, and the sad part about that? It was Hippocampus capensis, one of the only seahorses actually considered endangered. While they weren't hurting wild populations having those perish, it is none the less incredibly disappointing.

Ocean Rider these days is primarily a tourist attraction. They do still sell some seahorses, but their focus is on the tourist side. And their reputation over the years has been less than stellar. I would weigh that when you consider their advice.

it is vary true that seahorses are vary easy to kill at higher temps, and that they are waste machines. I did a vary large amout of reasearch befor i even got the tank for my seahorses. I do understand about the bacterial infections that they can get and take safegards for this. I do not just go by ocean ryder as the only website for information.

to counter the bacteria infections in my seahorses I give them viteimends and enriched brine and misis shrimp. i also feed garlic as an emunity booster.

as far as waste is conserned i have 2 skimmers rated to 250 gallions each. along with a 5 watt UV that kills any bacteria that comes from the seahorse tank. also i have a large amount of bacterial filtration as well.

I have had sea horses for 3 years and out of the 5 i have had 1 has died. I have experiance in aquarium system disigning as well as experiance with fish, corals, and inverts alike. I do not have all of my "tank info" up as i have not updated it. but if you wish to know what i have setup and what i have done as fare as my saltwater experiance and also aquarium systems that i have designed over that last 2 years and filtration systems i am more than willing to have a nice confersation with any and all :)

it is vary true that seahorses are vary easy to kill at higher temps, and that they are waste machines. I did a vary large amout of reasearch befor i even got the tank for my seahorses. I do understand about the bacterial infections that they can get and take safegards for this. I do not just go by ocean ryder as the only website for information.

to counter the bacteria infections in my seahorses I give them viteimends and enriched brine and misis shrimp. i also feed garlic as an emunity booster.

as far as waste is conserned i have 2 skimmers rated to 250 gallions each. along with a 5 watt UV that kills any bacteria that comes from the seahorse tank. also i have a large amount of bacterial filtration as well.

I have had sea horses for 3 years and out of the 5 i have had 1 has died. I have experiance in aquarium system disigning as well as experiance with fish, corals, and inverts alike. I do not have all of my "tank info" up as i have not updated it. but if you wish to know what i have setup and what i have done as fare as my saltwater experiance and also aquarium systems that i have designed over that last 2 years and filtration systems i am more than willing to have a nice confersation with any and all :)

Oh good lord please use spell check.

Bluesaltwater87, I appreciate you are comfortable with those conditions for your seahorses. No worries there. I just wanted to make it clear that it's not a good idea to make those recommendations to others just starting out, especially when you have not had long term nor a breadth of seahorse experience yourself. There is nothing wrong with doing things differently, it's just not a great idea to suggest to a novice when what you are suggesting has failed for so many. As you yourself said, you have experience designing systems, not something I would expect with most novices.

Back