First tank purchase question...

Murph

Reefing newb
So I've been lurking here for a few weeks and I've been doing as much reading as I can get away with at work and I think I've finally settled on how I'm going to start my first reef tank. Originally I was going to go with a 120 gallon but after talking with the wife it was going to be too much $$ to start, so I'm going to start small and go with a 28g nano. I know bigger is better, but I don't want to wait a year. I figure a lot of the stuff I'm going to buy will carry over when I can finally go big and I'll be able to use the nano as a hospital or quarantine tank... I saw a deal on the fosters/smith site for a 28g Nano-Cube HQI Aquarium that comes with a free stand for 449. I was wondering if this is a good deal or is it pretty standard for that tank?

I plan on using a skimmer as soon as I put fish in but I'm not 100% what to get. I've seen someone with a Tunze inside the back and another one with a Deltec HOB that sounds like it is probably stronger. Thoughts on that?

Thanks in advance, and when I get started I'll definitely post pics... I love browsing everyone's tank setup threads. I'm 99% sure I'll be ordering 'the package' from tampa bay sw.

Welcome to the site..I don't know the price of Nano's but check Craigslist ifyou're looking to save money...Type in Saltwater...I've got almost everything for my tank from Craigslist.

Here I did a little search for you...Not that you'd want something this size necessarily, just showing you how much money you can save.

I did the math on this...This is a 225g tank.

Large Aquarium Tank

Welcome aboard ,
i agree with PRC,i got my brand new, still wrapped 125 for 125 bucks,tons of deals on there......i drove 2 hours to get it ,but it was worth it

Wish i had a local reef club,heck i don't even have a good LFS anymore:grumble:....
PRC has got you covered ...he's a big help around here

Wow... Thanks for the info on the reef club. I had actually been looking around for something like that. And thanks for the craigslist add. I have actually been checking it for tanks the last couple of weeks. My large tank space will only take a 48 inch wide tank so that one would be out, but I'll keep looking. And it wasn't just the tank cost, but the lighting, and the live rock / sand startup. But I definitely appreciate all the help.

I have the 28 gal nano, LED version. I really like it so far. That price you quoted is pretty close to standard for the HQI version.

I have the 28 gal nano, LED version. I really like it so far. That price you quoted is pretty close to standard for the HQI version.

Thanks for the input... I actually spent a good chunk of time either this afternoon or yesterday paging through your build thread. Did you order the LED version online or pickup somewhere in person? Looks like an extra couple hundred bucks for the LED, which I can probably deal with. The heat issue with the MH is something i'm mildly concerned with. We have central ac and it usually doesn't get above 78 where I'll have the tank so I think I'd be okay, just something I'd been thinking about.

Hello and welcome to the site...that's good you've done your research before jumping right in. You can put a 55, 75 or 90 gal in that 48in spot.

Hello and welcome to the site...that's good you've done your research before jumping right in. You can put a 55, 75 or 90 gal in that 48in spot.

Thanks Smitty... This place seems super active and there's so much info here it's nuts. And yeah on the tanks. I figured 120 was the biggest I'd be able to go in that space. 48x24x24. I've got a notebook with sump / plumbing plans and the whole 9 yards. There will be an awesome tank there someday. Only problem is I think we'll have new furniture and carpet in my living room first... :grumble:

Thanks for the input... I actually spent a good chunk of time either this afternoon or yesterday paging through your build thread. Did you order the LED version online or pickup somewhere in person? Looks like an extra couple hundred bucks for the LED, which I can probably deal with. The heat issue with the MH is something i'm mildly concerned with. We have central ac and it usually doesn't get above 78 where I'll have the tank so I think I'd be okay, just something I'd been thinking about.

Luckily my LFS is an authorized dealer for JBJ, so I was able to pick it up from them. Though I know that a few of the sites do offer free shipping once in awhile on them.

Luckily my LFS is an authorized dealer for JBJ, so I was able to pick it up from them. Though I know that a few of the sites do offer free shipping once in awhile on them.

Cool. Thanks... Actually 1 more question for you. I went thru most of your thread, but I could never see it, do you have a skimmer on yours? And if so what kind? Thanks again.

The heat issue with the MH is something i'm mildly concerned with.

I think the heat issue has been made into a bigger problem then it actually is. I have the HQI model and I run my tank a little higher then most (82 degrees), But, my temperature never fluctuates by more then one degree all day long. And I have my lights running for 12 hours a day.

I think the heat issue has been made into a bigger problem then it actually is. I have the HQI model and I run my tank a little higher then most (82 degrees), But, my temperature never fluctuates by more then one degree all day long. And I have my lights running for 12 hours a day.

That's good to hear. Our house gets pretty warm in the summer, but the ambient temp would never be higher than 82 outside of a power outage in the middle of the day, so I won't worry too much about that. Do you guys use automatic top offs for your nano's or just add a little water every day or two? I was thinking about trying to stash a 10 or 20 gallon reservoir nearby to try and handle the top offs.

Right now I'm topping off every other day. I'm working on setting up an ATO but I still need to get the pump for it. Usually I'll go through a gallon of water every 4-6 days doing topoffs.

Cool. Thanks... Actually 1 more question for you. I went thru most of your thread, but I could never see it, do you have a skimmer on yours? And if so what kind? Thanks again.

No I don't run a skimmer. I just do weekly water changes. With these nanos skimmers aren't really necessary unless you are running close to capacity on bioload. Majority of the time if you keep up with the water changes you are fine.

That's good to hear. Our house gets pretty warm in the summer, but the ambient temp would never be higher than 82 outside of a power outage in the middle of the day, so I won't worry too much about that. Do you guys use automatic top offs for your nano's or just add a little water every day or two? I was thinking about trying to stash a 10 or 20 gallon reservoir nearby to try and handle the top offs.

I normally have to do about 16 oz. a day if that with the LED version. Its pretty easy really to keep up on. I just look at the back chambers periodically...maybe once a day and if it looks like its getting a little low I just add a bit of RO water.

Back