First test results from tank

Apestyler

Reefing newb
Hi all,

I have managed to get round to taking my first test results of my tank water, I know there isn't really much point to them until I start putting living rock/sand in. But it gives me an idea of what my water quality is currently like;

pH 8.2
Ca 440 mg/l
NO2 0.1 mg/l
NO3 < 5 mg/l
GH 160 mg/l
PO4 0.25 mg/l
Ammonia 0
Specific Gravity 1.024

I think most of them are within limits at present, obviously some will change when I add my live sand next week, and live rock a few weeks after.

Looks like your tank cycled. You should be ready to add the sand rock and a cheap hardy fish like a damsel. The fish will help build up the bacteria to convert the amonia and nitrites. Plus if the fish dies your only out a few pounds, oh and atleast you get something to look at.

damsel will work ,but once the rock is in good luck gittin it out with out removing the rock.I heard that dead shrimp will get the bacteria started.You can get a couple from your market.

Wow :) - didn't know it would cycle unless I had some Live Rock/Sand in it - The Protein Skimmer and Live Sand are arriving on Saturday so will get them straight in.

Isn't the shrimp option pretty smelly?! Not too keen on it if it is as the tank is in the living area and near the kitchen.

ya the shrimp option does not smell to good.The damsel will work but when it time to get them out you will have to remove the rock to get them out.Some people like to keep them after the cycle.The only problem is that they are nasty and will harass new tank mates to here death.Tank cycling the test info looks ok did the ammonia go real high yet next the nitrites should go up when the ammonia comes down.When the nitrites fall to 0 the cycle should be complete

Well theres nothing in the thank yet (apart from saltwater & substrate) so the ammonia didn't change at all - I was just posting them to give an initial overview of my water quality.

Back