first time reef aquatics, need help :L

iddles10023

Reefing newb
hi everyone :)

im very interested in starting a tropical reef aquarium,

I have a fluval venezia 190 corner tank, a g3 fluval filter, a fluval heater whivh came from the tank. 2 24 wat t5 glo lights

The question I have is what else do I need to start a reef,, I no sand n live rock just wondering what else, and whether my fluval g3 will be a aadequate substitute for a sump??

also how much live rock would be suitable?
thank you for your help

Welcome to the forum.

First I wouldn't suggest using the filter as it will just be a nitrate factory.

The general rule is you need 1 to 1.5 times the live rock to the gallons. I also don't think that 2 24 watts T5 lights will be enough for too many coral. Not sure how deep your tank is but a 2 bulb T5 won't provide much light.

hey

thanks for such a quick reply

my tank dimesions are Aquarium measurements: 98cm L x 70cm W x 58cm H

so you would suggest a two part sump due to the fact the cabinet has a piece of wood straight down the middle?? or would a simple chemical nitrate cartridge be ok where I would replace monthly to hold the nitrate at bay?

and also a alteration to the lights, I know fluval have realised reef lights I believe they do a 24 watt one so maybe get a new fluval reef light.

Thank you for your help

I'm not sure about the lights, I'm still learning about them but I have 55 gallon tank with a 4 bulb T5 light and can only get coral which only requires MED light until I finally upgrade to LED lights.

As far as the SUMP, I had the same problem with my tank. I could only fit a 10 gallon under my stand so I ended up getting a 30 Gallon tank and putting it right next to my stand. I wanted something bigger than a 10 gallon but that's more of a personal thing.

aww ok cool lol,

well ill look into the lights a lot more,

my tank is 190 litres about 41.1 gallons, was also wondering like how many fish I could have like 2 clowns, a regal tang and maybe a butterfly fish, with few corals and a anemome?

thanks for your help

Welcome aboard! Check out liveaquaria.com for tank requirements for different species of fish. Most tangs require a 6-8 foot length tank as they do require a lot of swimming room. Research of the inhabitants you want is a must in this hobby. There are SO MANY things that are sold in the hobby that require different types of setups. Research research research!
One great option for lighting your tank would be a few PAR38 bulbs from RapidLED.com I have one of the older versions over my ten gallon and it's great, especially for around $100.

No Angels or Tangs in a tank that size. Clownfish, Blennies, Gobies, and Dartfish are all good ideas and most will do just fine in a tank that size. Welcome aboard. :)

Back