First Water Change

Banana Man

Reefing newb
So i'm just working on my first water change. Reading the instructions on the salt it says to mix the water and salt vigorously (without aeration) for 0.5 - 2 hours. I was planning on using an air stone but now i dont know what to do after reading about the aeration. What do people use for the mixing?

Thanks

Use a cheap powerhead like a maxijet. And you might want to use a heater too so the temp isn't far off from your display tank.

I have a 40gal trash bin on wheels, my RODI unit drops the RO water in there, then when it hits the mark it stops, then I put a bilge pump in. Its like a pump that brings water in one end, and pushes it out another. Add salt, and mix until I get around .024-.025 salinity, then add a hose to the bilge pump, and pump the water into my tank

I mix mine in 5g buckets and stir it manually and then let it sit for a day or more before using. Ideally if I had enough powerheads I'd put a powerhead in the bucket for 3 hours and then still let it sit a day before using it. Freshly mixed saltwater can be pretty caustic for your fish and corals. Even if you only mix it for 0.5-2 hours I'd still recommend letting it sit overnight before adding it to your tank. What kind of salt mix are you using?

I'm using Red Sea Coral Pro Salt. Seems to be for fast Coral growth. 12.2 KH, 450 Calcium and 1340 Mg.

So after i use a powerhead for 2-3 hours should i then add the air stone and leave it for a day or just leave with without the air stone?

Back