first water change

craigandy

Reefing newb
hi am new to reefing had a 55gal tank for my birthday had it up and runing for 4 weeks now i think the cycling has finished now but not sure salinity 1.025 ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 20 ph 8.0 temp 80 have 1 clown 2 small damselfish when do i do my first water change all so have a lot of brown algae is that nornal

thanks doing w/c at the weekend up date on the brown algae green algae growing alongside the brown algae is that normal and do i start geting my cleanup crew and what do i get first

Hi and welcome to Living Reefs!

Your SG is good at 1.025-026. Get that water change done to get those nitrates down. Then add your clean up crew. Check out www.reefcleaners.org , John will hook you up. You will experience some algae blooms with a new setup. The brown is probably diatoms.
Take things slow, read and ask questions. Nothing good happens fast in this hobby.

Hi and welcome to Living Reefs!

Your SG is good at 1.025-026. Get that water change done to get those nitrates down. Then add your clean up crew. Check out www.reefcleaners.org , John will hook you up. You will experience some algae blooms with a new setup. The brown is probably diatoms.
Take things slow, read and ask questions. Nothing good happens fast in this hobby.
thank you your addvice appreciated and i will get that w/c done strait away thanks again

thank you your addvice appreciated and i will get that w/c done strait away thanks again
update on that water change done a 10% water change on friday tested today ph 8.0 ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 10 temp 80 added 4 terbo snails today brown algae gone started to get green algae but snails getting ride off that i have 25kg of dryed rock when will it start to become live rock if at all

Getting the trates closer to zero is ideal to control nuisance algae growth but you will not have any livestock issues at 10.
thank you being new to reefing your addvice is appreciated have 1 clown and 2 yellow tailed damsel in the tank and thay are doing great been advised not to add moor c/c for 2 weeks or moor is that right

You're welcome! It is a good rule of thumb to wait a few weeks between adding fish to allow your biological filter(live rock) time to keep up with the bioload. Not really necessary with the cuc. However, you do need to make sure you have enough food for the cuc. As I said in an earlier post taking things slow is a huge benefit especially when you are new to the hobby.

You're welcome! It is a good rule of thumb to wait a few weeks between adding fish to allow your biological filter(live rock) time to keep up with the bioload. Not really necessary with the cuc. However, you do need to make sure you have enough food for the cuc. As I said in an earlier post taking things slow is a huge benefit especially when you are new to the hobby.
thank you again will wait 1 or 2 weeks and keep testing to make sure all ok before adding moor cuc or fish to the tank will get advice first thank you

hi looked at my tank when i came in from work and there is neon green spots on the live sand and on the ocean rock do you now what it is and shud i be concerned about it snails geting ride of most of the green algae is this normal

Last edited:
You will experience different algae blooms which is all part of the new tank. Could be the start of coralline algae which is good. Hard to say without seeing it. The snails are there to feed on certain types of algae, detritus and left over foods.

image.jpg
View attachment 24282
image.jpg
View attachment 24285 View attachment 24283 View attachment 24282
You will experience different algae blooms which is all part of the new tank. Could be the start of coralline algae which is good. Hard to say without seeing it. The snails are there to feed on certain types of algae, detritus and left over foods.
Here is a pitcher of that neon green algae I was talking about hope it is nothing

Last edited:
Back