fish are dying

mel28

Reefing newb
I have a 55 g tank that always tests good, good salinity,pH,nitrates, nitrites, ammonia. I have had a saltwater tank for approx. 6 mo., I recently purchased a sailfin tang that died about two weeks after I bought it, now a royal gramma just died today, and yellow tang is losing it's color. Any ideas?

You have not posted enough information about the contents of your system (animals/corals/etc. and system equipment, maitenance schedule, for me to respond with any amount of accuracy. base on the very limited information given you may have introduced a pathogen, or paracite into your system with the last additon or, it may just be coincidental. provide the information missing and be very specific on exactly what you do and dont do. list any changes just prior/30days to the onset of difficulties. describe how the fish look and what they are doing if anything odd prior to they demise. make sure you list every living thing you have in your system and when they were added. provide current water parameter test results. How are the fish respiration, fast, slow, normal, etc. do they hang twards the top, bottom, etc provide full details. I KNOW THIS SEEMS LIKE A PAIN BUT FOR ANYONE TO VENTURE A GUESS WITHOUT SUFFICIENT INFORMATION IS JUST THAT A WILD GUESS. PROVIDE MORE INFORMATION AND ILL TRY AND HELP. SORRY TO HEAR OF YOUR LOSSES AND DIFFICULTY. ON A BRIGHTER SIDE WELCOME TO THE FORUM. I HOPE YOUR TIME HERE WILL BE HELPFUL AND FUN.

I have 2 percula clowns, a spotfin lion, yellow tang, and a recently introduced coral beauty angelfish. Also I have an emerald green crab, several hermits, 2 turbo snails, coral banded shrimp, and pepermint shrimp. We check salinity daily, and check all others about weekly. As to the specific kind of filter and protein skimmer we have, I am unsure, my husband does the upkeep on the equipment, but could find out. also a powerhead to keep water circulating. Always do water changes(about 10%, or more if needed) approx. every 2 weeks, according to need. All fish had been in tank and doing well for several months before sailfin was introduced. The sailfin just got bloated, stopped eating, and hid all day in the rock(approx. 30 lb. of live rock). Just thought maybe he was sick when we got him, but now maybe something else with our other loss.

Also, our aquariu store also recommended increasing the salinity at the time we purchased the sailfin, could this be a problem?

Please provide the salinity prior to the additon, and how you made up your makeup up water or if you will tell us step by step how you increased the salinity, how much, over what period of time, and anything else you did just before or after the additon of the last fish.

also, check out the helpful articles. I am adding a quite long series of articles in parts on fish disease. the first three parts can give you some back ground in stress. you may also want to review some of the other articles on new setups etc. Ill watch for your response on this question ill be on a bit longer to night and then again tomorrow. sorry i still cannot render an honest reply to your initial question yet.

Back