fish died today...:cry:

This morning I saw a mark on my 6 line blister like??? Today when I got home he was being eaten by my hermit crabs. :(

DSC_0070.jpg

PH 8.2
Nitrates 0
Nitrites 0
KH 180
Calcium 420
SG 1.021

I have put a lot of new corals in my tank in the past 2 weeks since our coral swap as well I added a lawnmower blenny last week? any ideas Should I be worried about the rest of my tank??? everything else looks fine??

kh = 180? what?

Just watch your other fish.... odd stuff can happen from time to time. Don't start changing stuff and QT'ing fish just yet...

I hate to read that.It sux to loose a fish.
That spot looks like something may have either stung him or tryed to catch him.

Sorry to hear about your sixline. We do get attached to these guys and it's never a nice thing to come home to your cleaner crew doing their job a little too well... It's hard to say why your fish died. Sometimes they just die for no apparent reason. Unless your other fish are also showing symptoms of disease, you shouldn't worry about them just yet. Hopefully it's just isolated (whatever it is).

Your fish may not have died from any of the below diseases but you need to understand them and recognize their symptom because they kill quick and infect all of your fish and the tank as well. Below is a writeup I did for another posting; hopefully it gives you food for though.

Read up on Brook and Ich. Brooklynella is a parasite that has very similar symptoms to various forms of Ich which includes Marine Velvet are also parasites. Brook is treated with Formalin and Ich is treated with copper. Some of the symptoms are rapid swimming, swimming at the top of the tank and gasping for air, fading color, sometimes spots on the body but not always, sometimes lesions on the body but not always. Brook can take your fish in a matter of days, Ich takes a little longer but it too will kill. If one fish in your tank has either of these parasites then ALL of you fish have the parasite even if they exhibit no symptoms and they have to be treated or eventually they will die. That means setting up a treatment tank with copper in it and giving them Formalin dips. The tank the fish came out of also has the parasite in it and all of the fish have to be removed from the tank for a six week period to stop the life cycle of the parasite. The eggs of the parasite are in the bottom of your tank and can lay there dormant for up to six weeks. When they hatch they have to find a fish host or they will die. After six weeks the tank is safe for new occupants. Get on Google and read and read and read some more about these parasites and how to treat them and do it now before you lose all of your fish. There is NO Quick answer, there is no one day cure or one chemical cure. These parasites are difficult to get rid of so from now on, QT your new arrives for three weeks before you put them into your tank.

Back